Solid Class D/Class T amp for party setting. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 11:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Solid Class D/Class T amp for party setting.

Hello all. I'm working on a small project which is extremely basic compared to the projects featured on the forum.

Essentially I want to create a decent portable outdoor audio system comparable to the ION Block Rocker, but with more expandability and better quality.

So far it seems that Dayton B652's are a good starting point for this, but I'm having trouble finding a small amp.

It seems like tiny Tripath amps like the legendary Lepai LP-2020A are overall frowned upon in the music world.

What is the best amp I can get for under $50 that can drive B652 speakers with reasonable volume (enough to easily fill a large room or campfire setting)? How noticeable will the distortion be at near maximum volume for one of these amps?

Thanks,
Apologies if this isn't the right place to post.
Old 8th February 2013, 02:36 PM   #2
nps is offline nps  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Check out the boominator thread:

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

He did a similar thing and there are over 300 pages of posts about it. As to the best amp under $50 you will never get an agreement but i would have though the Lepai would be suitable to drive the B652's, to give a real answer would need for information. How are you powering it etc
Old 8th February 2013, 04:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did read through much of that thread after I made this post. Surprising how many people are interested in this set up.

I intended to a 12v 7.2 Ah SLA battery.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
nps is offline nps  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yeh the Lepai will work with that. As to what will give you the best sound, who knows but think the Lepai would be a good start.

Hide this!Advertise here!