Troubleshooting: T-amp with SLA battery, no sound output - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2013, 06:54 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

sounds like a good idea. I appreciate the help
Old 20th July 2013, 01:20 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Any one find a solution to this odd problem? Beside using another amp.

I have a variable power supply and match the exact voltage coming for the wall plug. When plugged into the var. PS, the blue lights come on and pulls about 0.16 amps. I can vary the voltage +-1 volt and no sound.
Old 9th February 2014, 04:41 PM   #13
Nruts is offline Nruts  United States
diyAudio Member

Exactly, same problem here - did anyone resolve this? Was wondering if the forward-biased diodes fixed the issue. I can't seem to figure it out either - even the battery I have should be able to output 12v @ 4A and it won't turn on the speakers (only the blue LED). I haven't tried measuring with a multimeter yet though, but wanted to know if anyone got the Pyle PFA300 working with an external battery...Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 05:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Series Diode(s) will solve the problem

My setup appears to have the same issues. Controlled the supply voltage on a lab power supply. My unit is fine until the voltage exceeds 11.8 Volts at which point the protection relay within the amp will not close and permit the speaker load to be applied. Under that voltage everything is fine. In my case the battery pack I am using (12.57V charged) will need a diode drop to get me in the range required by the amp. Those will higher voltages will require you to series up your diodes to get the sufficient drop. The diodes are a better solution as they will drop the same voltage regardless of current draw. Please use a power diode rated well over the current rating (@A). On mine there is a solid wire in place of an inductor (L5) on the power input so its a convenient place to add the diode. My board has cut traces and kludge wires all over it. Very poorly made. My boss would beat me if a made something that looked like this. On the other hand its cheap and if it burned up I would laugh not cry. Good luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!