12,000W Amp with DSP for $599? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2013, 02:36 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Uli Behringer of The Music Group Q&A - Page 21

Uli says "Upon request from professional touring sound companies, we just launched a very powerful 12,000 Watt version which basically contains two NU6000 amps in a 2U case."

Aha - so it's two NU6000 amps, must be some mods to get to be stable at 2 ohms per side.

"... we are currently testing some low-noise fans and are positive to be able to improve this aspect."

Later, he makes a note of the nu4-6000
"We are currently studying the market demand for a 4-channel DSP version in order to evaluate if such a model would justify the R&D investment. It would be great to get some feedback here."

Looks like new things are coming.

Old 22nd February 2013, 02:38 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Turbodawg: I am not a troll (although people who know me might argue I have a personality resembling one). Mods a bad idea? Depends. Arguments for "yes": voids a warranty. Removing the output inductors? Definitely unwise (also amp refused to work afterwards.) Gmarsh, I repent of that mod. Argument "No": But the no fan mod was successful -- in reducing the fan noise.

The concrete block as "cat warmer": still in evaluation stages. On the negative side, field reports indicate the cat is just as content lying on top of the block when the amp has been off all night On the positive side, the cat no longer takes up desk space.

Last edited by Soldermizer; 22nd February 2013 at 02:41 PM.

Old 23rd February 2013, 01:08 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

hello I am thinking of getting an INUKE 6000 to power a sub I am building and I have questions for those of you who have the DSP versions. Can the DSP crossover to an external amp for the main speakers . I want to use a tube amp I have for my mains and reading the lit on the DSP INuKEs I cant see how the crossover works except using both channels of the INUKE.I do have a yamaha digital crossover I can use instead and not buy the DSP version. thanks

Mark

Old 23rd February 2013, 02:04 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
Soldermizer, turning well-designed electronics into breadboard-looking devices since 1972.
LMAO

Old 25th February 2013, 01:07 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgolf View Post
hello I am thinking of getting an INUKE 6000 to power a sub I am building and I have questions for those of you who have the DSP versions. Can the DSP crossover to an external amp for the main speakers . I want to use a tube amp I have for my mains and reading the lit on the DSP INuKEs I cant see how the crossover works except using both channels of the INUKE.I do have a yamaha digital crossover I can use instead and not buy the DSP version. thanks

Mark
A few points on this:

- The nu6000 has a bridged amp section in each channel, it cannot be bridged further. It's real world perfomance has been bechmarked in the speakerplans thread linked above. So if you're building a single driver sub, you would need dual 4 ohm voicecoil sub to max out the amp. Or multiple drivers/subs.

- There is no line level output on the dsp amps, there is no way to filter a set of mains in the dsp if you are using it for the sub. It is entirely possible to use a non-dsp crossover on your mains which is preferable IMHO because it keeps you from making more digital conversions. You can run your mains without a crossover (rec. sealing the ports if vented), or a passive speaker level high pass (I prefer 1st order), or a simple line level active or passive filter.

Old 25th February 2013, 01:53 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

thanks turbodawg for answering my main question about the dsp crossover having no outputs as I suspected . I will be using two dual 4ohm subs each in series to give me stereo 8ohm subs one a t-line and one sealed. The inuke 6000 seems ideal as it outputs 1000rms into 8ohms stereo which is how much these subs reaally need.and its dirt cheap.

thanks mark

Old 25th February 2013, 11:36 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default Taking a shot at the amp...Florida style...

I'm not yet home, but email says my NU6000 has been delivered to my home. It occurs to me I live in a fairly safe neighborhood. They can leave packages. A good step up from a few apartments I lived in, where I would subscribe to a newspaper (remember them? Made from dead trees! Really!). Problem was the newspaper was rarely there by late morning Also here in Florida "deadly force" is more often allowed, but I don't think we're allowed to use bait

Old 26th February 2013, 03:23 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

First reports...nobody had stolen the package (Ya just gotta love that "Castle Doctrine"). More seriously...I unpacked the amp, and (what else) after making sure it powers up (yes) noisy fans and all. I took off the top and disconnected the fans. The NU6000 internals are substantially different than the NU3000. Bypassing the fans is even easier. There are two fans. I simply disconnected the PCB plug and left it free. Unlike the NU3000, there are no ducts to direct the air to heat sinks, so none to remove (duh!). The heat sinks are quite different than the NU3000's. The stick on heat sinks won't work here. In fact, I can't even see the MOSFETs - perhaps they are on the under side of the PCB? The heat sink is a little metal strip with a phillips screw in the center. I am stymied on what, if any, heat sink mods might work here.

Unlike the NU3000, the fanless NU6000 (cover on) goes into protect fairly easily, with very little volume. I am currently experimenting with open top to see if that works better.

Old 26th February 2013, 12:19 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Default Actual DIY question!!!

Even at a room temp. of 74 deg. F, the amp is resetting itself randomly, even at idle (possibly due to t-storms in area -- my UPS clicked once also). In any case I want to try bigger heat sinks. DigiKey sells a confusing array of them. how do I determine what MOSFET is used, and/or what type of heat sink to look for?

Old 26th February 2013, 02:44 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

I'm quite sure what you are doing is an extremely bad idea, but by all means feel free to continue to waste your time (and money) since it seems to be worth very little.

Is it any mystery that an amp with two bridged sections and two powerful fans is not going to like being run without a fan??? You've probably already permanently damaged the amp, taking a good percentage off it's service life. Stop now.

Sheesh.

Last edited by turbodawg; 26th February 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!