12,000W Amp with DSP for $599? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2013, 03:06 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quiet replacement fans are cheap and easy. Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Old 17th February 2013, 04:12 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Speaking for the sloth lobby, to use no fan at all is easier still!

... Would I have bought a NU4-6000? Even though I said I might, a few messages back, a year ago I was more in the market for two separate amps for two different rooms. For just one system needing biamping, of course either would work. I would want to find out if the NU4-6000 can go fanless like the NU3000 could.

Old 17th February 2013, 05:19 AM   #33
abcdmku is offline abcdmku  United States
diyAudio Member

mr. doom, I remember seeing that post when I first got the amp. Also saw a video of a guy doing it too. I'm pretty sure removing the fan/changing the fan would void warranty. Maybe after my warranty is up ill mod the fan.

Soldermizer, Sorry I forgot we talked about that already. Like i said I'd go with the NU4-6000 only if it had DSP and I had a lot of speakers to power. Else I'd stick to two units for more flexibility.

Old 17th February 2013, 05:54 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Good point abcdmku. As for needing high power, I think the NU3000 is (are) great for that. Much ado is made of continuous RMS watts but ... peak power maybe is the more important. In my case, one NU3000 driving (per channel) 2x Bose 901 II (=4 ohm load nominal) will peak (0 dB) easily on fairly loud music. This is not surprising since I have about 30 dB of boost at lowest frequencies and also a dBX expander. It is "far out man" as Chong would say, to have a fanless box that can put out 1500 watts (albeit briefly)...the trick is how loud can I play it before it goes into thermal protection.

Old 18th February 2013, 03:41 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Cat-approved heat sink for NU3000

History made! I spent money on something for the cat that the cat actually uses! Since cats like warm things I have tried a couple methods to move my "desk cat" to a top shelf so I shall have more desk top space. Now I have my two NU3000 amps (fanless, so the tops get nice and warm), side by side on a top shelf. I bought a "paver" stone (about 20x20x1 inches, about $7) that now tops both amps. This serves of course as a heat sink. Top it with a towel and install cat. Cat now happy. Next project: how to keep cat from walking on keyboard KIU&XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX

Old 19th February 2013, 02:05 PM   #36
abcdmku is offline abcdmku  United States
diyAudio Member

Soldermizer, hahaha very nice! I'd be careful because the cats might keep the amps too warm. Could you post some pictures??

Old 20th February 2013, 03:14 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Cats are on break, but guinea pig was available...

Cats are enjoying outside time right now. Besides, just got home and the masonary needs to warm up

Here is a photo. As you can see, a rodent is subbing for a cat. I doubt the cat would cause over-heat, however, the towel could restrict airflow if draped over the edges. The whole idea of this exercise was to allow the amp's waste heat to heat the concrete paver (approx. 20x20x2 inches).

I was listening to some "trance" music and got a thermal even at not apparently too loud volume. This is not the first time, and not unusual (although it was on the amp that I "experimented upon" and I sometimes worry that my half-assed resoldering is failing.)

I just got an incredibly simple evil idea worthy of the Grinch when he figures out his reindeer substitute
What if I put the fan back in the amp, and had a switch for it? If I need to blast music, I have the fan running. If I need quiet, turn off the fan. Experience has shown that the thermal protection works ok. Best of both worlds?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1789.jpg (556.7 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by Soldermizer; 20th February 2013 at 03:38 AM.

Old 20th February 2013, 07:23 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

You can use this circuit to control fan with signal from amp output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APEX Sound Control Fan PCB.jpg (89.8 KB, 331 views)

Old 20th February 2013, 02:47 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Build something? ha ha ha ...

Well, I have managed to kill one of my NU3000. As noted else where, one of my experiments was removing the output inductors and capacitors. That did not work (amp remained in protect). I put them back ... not very skillfully and ... amazingly the amp worked. At least until after the recent "heated cat perch" experiment. I am pretty sure the problem is one inductor (it is visibly loose). I can't seem to make a good solder bond with my limited skills and equipment. I will leave it DOA, for a project later or perhaps sell it as broken (I do that some). Anyway, it is an excuse to BUY MORE ELECTRONIC GADGETS!!! Meanwhile, the cat perch must make do with only 1/2 the heat generated.

Old 20th February 2013, 03:03 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

I thought my eyes deceived me. On Ebay right now, the cheapest NU6000 is: $398. Cheapest NU3000 is: $299. I think the NU3000's have gone up some, the NU6000 is no longer twice the cost (was it ever?) I think it is time to buy a NU6000 and hope my "fan-ectomy" will work!

There is a NU3000DSP (customer return) for $299, same price as a regular NU3000. I was tempted, but I am going for power this time.

Last edited by Soldermizer; 20th February 2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: recount my experiences as an EBay *****

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!