12,000W Amp with DSP for $599? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 5th February 2013, 03:27 PM   #11
IRSound is offline IRSound  Germany
diyAudio Member

it's not PowerCon i think..but it's like Crown 4X3500 mains connector.
anyway , that power rating is really a joke !! but it's not unusual from Behringer !

in my opinion , world's best high power amps in all ways are CROWN Products. for example DriveCore is state-of-art switching amplifier technology which makes amps more compact and reliable , also improve their sound quality specs. other manufactures just say thousands of watts !!!

Regards,
IRSound
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4x3500-1.jpg (83.4 KB, 1108 views)
File Type: jpg 4x3500-1-1.jpg (143.7 KB, 1097 views)
File Type: jpg 4x3500-2-1.jpg (136.2 KB, 1085 views)

Old 5th February 2013, 04:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

"In my opinion , world's best high power amps in all ways are CROWN Products. for example DriveCore is state-of-art switching amplifier technology which makes amps more compact and reliable , also improve their sound quality specs. other manufactures just say thousands of watts !!!"

no discussion - Crown Class I (BCA) products are great (I ve got a XTI6002).
But do you think, for example, LAB PLM20000Q (2 x 8000W bridged into 8 Ohms, class TD) is a toy for kids? ;-)
BTW, this thread is 'bout the new iNuke.

Old 5th February 2013, 05:06 PM   #13
abcdmku is offline abcdmku  United States
diyAudio Member

Next weekend I will measure the output of the 3000. I'm expecting 500 to 600w rms at 4ohm, 1000 to 1200w at 2ohm, and 250 to 300w at 8ohm. For the 12000 model I'd say 5kw per chan at 2ohm so 1000-1500w rms at 8ohm.

I'd agree that Crown amps are better but for 399 I got my 3000DSP with a 50' SpeakON to SpeakON, 25' SpeakON to 1/4, 10' SpeakON to 1/4 and, 25' 1/4 to 1/4. So for the price iNuke are good.

Old 6th February 2013, 06:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

From the Behringer NU6000 Spec sheet
RMS:
1100w @ 8ohm per channel, stereo
2200w @ 4ohm per channel, stereo

And that matches measurements on the other forum.
So really, this is very likely the same amp,
4400w @ 2ohm
Beefed up power supply and cooling and rated down to 2 ohms per channel.

That is a PowerCon @ 32 A (240v)

But that's not a "picture" it's a computer generated image.
I don't think they have any built - yet

Old 7th February 2013, 09:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Did they ever ship any NU4-6000? I might have bought one of them. Instead I have been quite happy with (2) NU3000 for nearly a year...fanless.

Old 9th February 2013, 04:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
Did they ever ship any NU4-6000? I might have bought one of them. Instead I have been quite happy with (2) NU3000 for nearly a year...fanless.
MCM has the NU4-6000 listed for $549.99 it says back ordered for 14 days, but I've been keeping an eye on it. It was supposed to be in stock yesterday (2/8/2013) according to the site a month ago, but they keep pushing it back. For $549 it is a better deal than 2x 3000's and takes less space. Although, personally, I rather have the 2 amps separate (being that the NU4-6000 is really just 2 NU-3000's in one) so I could use them in two different locations if needed. It would be really nice to see a NU-6000DSP. Now that I would buy if it's for $649!

Heres a link to MCM's NU4-6000
Behringer Rack Mount Digital Amplifier - iNuke Series - 1100W RMS x 4CH | NU4-6000 (NU46000) | Behringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raintalk View Post
So really, this is very likely the same amp,
4400w @ 2ohm
Beefed up power supply and cooling and rated down to 2 ohms per channel.
That is a very good point, raintalk! I did not look at it in that way. That seems very doable without costing $1340124. Its the same thing car amps do, they putout '5000w' (really like 2000..) but its at 1 Ohm, or even 0.5 Ohms. So that '5000w' amp is really just a 250w RMS 8 Ohm amp, with the entire unit as a heat sink

Old 10th February 2013, 06:22 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I haven't physically seen the NU4-6000, but then again, the DSP does look very interesting. It may only come with dual channel amps.

Hi Soldermizer - What do you mean "fanless"? Have you done some modifications to your amps?
thanks!

Old 11th February 2013, 05:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raintalk View Post
I haven't physically seen the NU4-6000, but then again, the DSP does look very interesting. It may only come with dual channel amps.

Hi Soldermizer - What do you mean "fanless"? Have you done some modifications to your amps?
thanks!
A common 'mod' to the iNuke line is to remove or change the fan, because it's rather loud. I personally don't mind the noise, it lets me know the amp is doing work.. because all the subs blaring isn't enough to tell. (joking of course)

As for the DSP, it's unbelievable! I use it every time I use the amp. I'm always changing my setup, adding speakers, taking away speakers, wiring them differently, changing the crossover points, any little change you can do. The fact you can hook it up to a computer makes it that much better. The interface is very user friendly and informative. My favorite part is the peak limiter, and how it tells you how many watts will go out. (sure you could find this out without the DSP but it's nice to have it right there) No, actually my favorite part(s) are the crossovers. The extra $100 I spent on the DSP version, saved me well over $500 in crossovers I would have needed for all those speakers. Yes, the non-DSP version has a 2-Way 100Hz Cross over, but that is either on, or off. For a setup that will not be changed I would go with the non-DSP version and design the speakers so that a crossover at 100Hz would work well. For Mid-Highs I still use crossovers, because there is no need for those to take both channels. If you were to be in a situation were you're using enough Mid and Highs where you would need a separate amp just to power those, lets say 16 of each, the DSP will save you $220. (assuming $20 a crossover) The EQ flexibility is really helpful too. I don't use it that much but the times I did I was grateful it was there. The dynamic EQ is there too, not sure what I'd use that for, or why, but it doesn't hurt.

Clearly I'm a little bit of a fan for the iNuke, It's not costly. You get 4 Units in one (Amp, EQ, Crossovers, and Dynamic EQ) I will admit the power rating is a little overrated, but we're talking 1100w RMS vs. 1250w RMS it says to be. What is that, a 0.5 dB difference? oh no! The DSP makes up for that. I'm still yet to test my iNuke for its power rating, maybe I'll finally do that today.

Old 12th February 2013, 03:25 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

As abcdmku notes above, yes it is very easy to remove the fan. You can find old threads about it here, or I can send you links of other web sites (I think I put them into an old message here also.) Of course, operating without any fan at all (as I do) will "de-rate" or reduce the heat dissipation and therefore the watts your amp will push. Still, my amp rarely shuts down, putting ? watts into (4) Bose 901 II (4 ohm hook-up). Only will "thermal" (protect) on continuous very bass-heavy and LOUD music. A bonus: does not sound like a hair dryer when no music is playing In many months of using one or the other amps, I have had NO DAMAGE AT ALL unless you count some ill-advised removal of inductors and capacitors one unit. I managed to solder things back in and the amp works -- amazingly! Also note the fan removal is easily reversible (unless you melt the amplifier, of course.)

Observations: (2) NU3000 is very close in cost to the NU4-6000. Also, I am sure the DSP is wonderful, however the DSP looks to cost about $50 per channel. A miniDSP will give you 4 channels of control for about $35/channel.

Last edited by Soldermizer; 12th February 2013 at 03:30 AM.

Old 12th February 2013, 01:12 PM   #20
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

The comment on the other site linked, where extensive tests were done shows a few concerning points.

The heat.
The possible non-linearity of SMD caps causing excess distortion - especially with heat.
The oddly done feedback, before the output network.
The relatively low DF
The heat. Did I mention that?
And one fellow said they would absolutely not work into 2 ohms? Anyone really try to pump any power at 2 ohms?

The DSP is cool.

I was considering this to run some subs, power + cheap + DSP.
Not so sure now...

_-_-

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!