12,000W Amp with DSP for $599?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NU6000 amp also doesn't have PFC inbuilt in it. Did single phase PFC capacitors can help reduce the peaky loads to the electrical system? If you have 4 or more these amps running at high power - there can be a problems with fuses. Maybe capacitors before amplifier also can do the job?

Last edited:
Wow, that's hard to understand.

I wonder how bad it really is?

I've seen jobs where the SMPS stuff wouldn't run, and they called me in for some old big-iron and beer-can sized capacitor amplifiers to get the show done.

Hi DJK,

Have a look at this, my own 1.5U rack size, Real 8KW Class-D with 4 phase Interleaved PFC + SMPS. No EIAJ/EIA, only Continuous Average rating down to DC. Just like old school big iron times but with modern tech.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
If done right - SMPS can be highly reliable.
The entire telecommunication and information technology including large scale server houses and satelites in the orbit are living on that since 30 years.
Besides size and weight...
Above a certain power level the material costs of SMPS are by far below the material costs of copper monsters. On the other hand the development costs of a SMPS are higher, but they pay back as soon as you go for high production volumes.
So it is mostly a question of available design know how, production volumes and copper price which drives the share of traditional PSU vs SMPS.

P.S.
Putting a compensation cap to achieve a high PF is not the way to go for SMPS and also not for the traditional transformer+rectifier+cap solutions.
Why? Low PF has its root cause in two effects:
1. Phase shift of current vs. voltage (inductive or capacitive) ==> cos Phi
2. Nonsinusodial current wave shape ==> harmonics/THD

With large compensation caps you can only fight inductive phase shifts like some motors or ancient magnetic lighting control gear do cause.
But low PF of a PSU is usually dominated by nonsinusodial current wave shapes. Without PFC most PSUs draw huge current peaks at a time window close the peak of the mains AC voltage.
Tons of active and passive powerfactor correction circuits have evolved or the years. Most popular is the active PFC in boost topology. Already a short WEB search will flood you with information.

I did some very complicated calculation (subtraction), the result of which is that $999 is by $400 more than $599.
So no, there is no thing like a 12000 W amp w DSP for $599, especially since I bet this one does not do real 12000W. Based on how the other Nukes perform, the marketing numbers can be expected to be inflated again.

12,000W......pffffft.
monarch dj 01.JPG

Dan.

I did some very complicated calculation (subtraction), the result of which is that $999 is by $400 more than $599.
So no, there is no thing like a 12000 W amp w DSP for $599, especially since I bet this one does not do real 12000W. Based on how the other Nukes perform, the marketing numbers can be expected to be inflated again.

This is a post from when the iNuke12000 was first announced. It served to show any information people found about it, as well as data about the other iNukes. If you read the quoted posts, you will see that price wasn't announced until later.

We also talked about power rates:

From the Behringer NU6000 Spec sheet
RMS:
1100w @ 8ohm per channel, stereo
2200w @ 4ohm per channel, stereo

And that matches measurements on the other forum.
So really, this is very likely the same amp,
4400w @ 2ohm
Beefed up power supply and cooling and rated down to 2 ohms per channel.

That is a PowerCon @ 32 A (240v)

But that's not a "picture" it's a computer generated image.
I don't think they have any built - yet

Later we quoted a post on Forum Speaker Plans
"Behringer (iNuke6000):
1.37kW into 8 Ohms, 2.05kW into 4 Ohms for full-range or mid-top duty
1.16kW into 8 Ohms, 1.80kW into 4 Ohms for Bass duty"

Status
Not open for further replies.