Hypex UCD180 (OEM) - how to bridge?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently picked up an commercial amplifier based on the UcD180 module, and I'm curious how to bridge it. The maker offers the amp as a monobloc as well (same chassis, PS, and I believe amp board) so I expect it's possible, but I'm not sure how it would be wired up for a bridge.

The curiosity is mostly academic - I plan on measuring the frequency of a few different Class D based on different chipsets into real speakers, compared to a reference-grade Class AB unit, to quantify whatever actual differences the different approaches may cause when driving actual loudspeakers. My standard use for the amp will be as a stereo unit. (And, if its HF frequency response is truly as insensitive to load as a good AB amp, then perhaps as my measurement amp as well.)

Last edited:
I 'd recommend an an active line level low noise-OPAMP inverter (e. g. OPA134 powered by + / - 15Vdc) - it could output 2 signals 180° out of phase, they can then be sent to 2 half-bridge stages, whose grounds / supply rails must be interconnected in order to "harvest" the bridged output power from the two "hot" connectors.

"The Hypex amps are all balanced in!!!!!!!!! Just reverse the input on one amp, no need for phase splitters."

I agree. This is the easiest way to go in this case.

This particular one (I don't know why I was cagey with the brand/model earlier; it's a Pro-Ject Amp Box SE) only has single-ended inputs.

At any rate, it does seem like it might be too much trouble for what I want to do. I thought maybe, as with a lot of amps, one could just feel them the same signal, and connect one terminal from each channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.