The most revealing, unforgiving and detailed class-T amplifier on the market ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Default The most revealing, unforgiving and detailed class-T amplifier on the market ?

Hi guys, I am asking this to people who have had experiences with class-T amps.

Which brand and model according to you has the most revealing, brutally honest and detailed nature ?

I am actually looking for T-amps for studio applications and would love to have an amp which produces a very honest representation of a mix.

Something which sounds great with a great mix but which blatantly reveals the flaws of a bad mix.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 17th January 2013, 11:29 AM   #2
hoka is offline hoka  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Return of the King!

nuf said!
Old 17th January 2013, 05:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would definitely go with Hypex products for studio use.
If you insist on using Class-T (i.e. Tripath), I'd go with this one:
Tristan TA3020 Amplifier-Maedos
Old 18th January 2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoka View Post
Yeah! if you have Cloth ears. Give it up.
IF serious about a Tripath based Amp?? First find a "genuine" NOS Tripath chip ...Many/most are fakes.
Then ..Build.. your own amp based on the published Tripath Circuit.
Bozo copies are surprisingly inferior to the real thing.

Last edited by Bare; 18th January 2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 01:50 AM   #5
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
For studio use, go with Hypex. Tripath amps can sound ultra-detailed but that's not the same as accuracy. The DAC makes a bigger difference in regards to resolution, and I would look into that first. With the more revealing DACs, the Tripath amps just have way too much emphasis on the treble. These amps actually sound better with less revealing sources.
Old 18th January 2013, 01:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
Tripath amps can sound ultra-detailed but that's not the same as accuracy. The DAC makes a bigger difference in regards to resolution, and I would look into that first.
HI Cotdt thanks for your input but what is the difference between detailed and accuracy ? Are those not supposed to work hand in hand to offer the truest representation of the sound source ?? Are you also implying that Tripaths are not accurate ? and if so why ?

For the DAC I have been trying to find differences between the Yulong D100 and the Lavry DA11(which I own) ... on paper how could I ever know which one is better ?

Thanks in advance
Old 18th January 2013, 02:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvin2 View Post
HI Cotdt thanks for your input but what is the difference between detailed and accuracy ? Are those not supposed to work hand in hand to offer the truest representation of the sound source ?? Are you also implying that Tripaths are not accurate ? and if so why ?

For the DAC I have been trying to find differences between the Yulong D100 and the Lavry DA11(which I own) ... on paper how could I ever know which one is better ?

Thanks in advance
T-amps (out of a good DAC) sound very detailed because there is more emphasis on the treble. This is not the same as accuracy, because in real life voices are not supposed to sound so metallic. Whereas a Hypex amp sounds much more similar to my linear solid state amps. They are more neutral.

I would highly recommend you make your own DAC, as they are cheaper and are state of the art. The power supply is very important, and the output stage is very important. I like the Twisted Pear offerings.
Old 18th January 2013, 03:36 AM   #8
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
T-amps (out of a good DAC) sound very detailed because there is more emphasis on the treble.
This is news to me and I've been using them for almost 10 years. Maybe you've had output filter or power supply problems?
Old 18th January 2013, 03:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
This is news to me and I've been using them for almost 10 years. Maybe you've had output filter or power supply problems?
I have the 41Hz amps. The frequency response measures flat and distortion low, so it seems to be working as it should. But subjectively, there is a treble emphasis and it sounds like notes are not decaying properly, giving a thin sound. The amp is too bright and sibilant to listen to an extended period of time. It might be that I am young, or that my Twisted Pear DAC is highly revealing, but I find the T-amp to not be accurate.

By comparison, the Hypex sounds more full, with proper decay of notes. It sounds like my linear amps. The details are all there but not emphasized like the T-amps.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The amp is too bright and sibilant to listen to an extended period of time. It might be that I am young, or that my Twisted Pear DAC is highly revealing, but I find the T-amp to not be accurate.
Is it so on all tracks ?? What type of music do you listen to ? Are you sure that it's not your speaker which are super bright ? or your listening position close to walls ?

95% of Today's pop music, dubstep, dance music and other styles suffer from very crappy, over-bright, piercing and sibilant problems.

While listening on top professional equipment, those tracks sound awful and very hard to listen to ALL THE TIME.

By the way even on Sade- Smooth Operator there are ugly sibilances here and there

Try something, if you have TRACY CHAPMAN - FAST CAR on vinyl, cd or wav , try it and tell me how you hear her vocals ?

Hide this!Advertise here!