The most revealing, unforgiving and detailed class-T amplifier on the market ? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2013, 01:41 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvin2 View Post
Hi guys, I am asking this to people who have had experiences with class-T amps.

Which brand and model according to you has the most revealing, brutally honest and detailed nature ?

I am actually looking for T-amps for studio applications and would love to have an amp which produces a very honest representation of a mix.

Something which sounds great with a great mix but which blatantly reveals the flaws of a bad mix.

Thanks in advance!!
Brutally honest and detailed in nature, just like Autotune eh?
The recording industry is now is being kept barely alive by releasing 40+ year old material.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:44 PM   #42
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
Brutally honest and detailed in nature, just like Autotune eh?
The recording industry is now is being kept barely alive by releasing 40+ year old material.
Utterly out of subject
Old 14th February 2013, 01:41 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

When you get to be a big boy you will have discovered that most things in life are subjective and you will have gained the confidence to be able to make choices based on your own preferences.
Old 14th February 2013, 04:40 PM   #44
Drewfus is offline Drewfus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
No, but I have read dozens of statements of people who own TI Amps. I do actually own a Topping TP60. I think that it is a decent amplifier for the money but hardly state of the art. It also pales compared to my Odyssey Khartago. Interestingly, in my Texas Instruments readings, they are working on some higher power stereo amplifier chips than the brand new TPA3116D2, TPA3118D2, and TPA3130D2 chips released this last summer. Digital amplification is the future and vacuum tube manufacturing may experience the same fate as Kodak film by the end of the decade.
One would hope that the $900 amp would beat the $200 amp handily or you didn't do enough research before buying! I do like the TP60 and have recommended it to people looking to get their feet wet and move up from the standard entry level consumer garbage that's being spewed out by some of the large manufacturers. The Khartago looks like a nice unit. It's intriguing enough for me to spend some time looking into it more. Any complaints?
Old 14th February 2013, 08:30 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

The Khartago is a wonderful amplifier and I have no problem recommending it to anyone. Vacuum tube people may find it too edgy with some brighter speakers. It has lots of dynamic punch especially with a large aftermarket power cord. It sounds like real music with good recordings.The TP60 is a fine amplifier but given the topic of this thread, my gut feeling is that the OP might be wiser looking at the Texas Instruments TPA3116D2 evaluation module. People here and elsewhere seem pretty excited about the more recent developments of TI in digital amplification technology. It could be that my beloved Khartago may very quickly become an obsolete dinosaur even though it almost take 2 men to lift it.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:42 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvin2 View Post
Which brand and model according to you has the most revealing, brutally honest and detailed nature ?
I found that Class-D amps based on International Rectifier IRS2092 are extremely accurate. Check out the CDA line of amps from classduadio (made in USA) or connex.

But, I also have experience with Tripath hifimediy amps that sound wonderful.

I'm sure Hypex amps are good, although too expensive for my taste.
Old 15th February 2013, 02:15 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Hi

My small pennies worth - i have spent many (early) years as a studio engineer and never had the pleasure of using Tripath amp technology for monitoring or mixing. Most engineers will know what is good for monitoring etc is not necessarily any sort of hifi set up in the ordinary sense. Take the ND10s speakers as an example they are not flat (without good EQ!!) - but they are not echoic, not flabby and allow you to 'feel' the relative levels of instruments in the sound stage which translates well to other types of speaker set ups. In many of cases mixes from NS10s (and other speakers) have an overall multiband EQ etc used at mastering to iron out its flaws in the less than flat department.

As far as amps go I think a T amp could work well in this situation but I would go for a high powered one like suggested before Tristan TA3020 Amplifier-Maedos - those of us that believe in the Tripath magic will know that it mostly manifests itself at medium volumes (up to about 80%) - to check the tonal content and dynamics of individual instruments you need to get them loud at times so you don't want any distortion from the amp changing the colour for you... plenty of headroom does create better mixes in my experience.

T amps are not the b all and end all... but for sound quality for buck I have not found anything close... buy a cheap DAC - add a valve buffer finish with a T amp (all pretty cheap on ebay) - compare to stuff costing many times as much - a DIYer on a budgets dream in my opinion...you can get a very good and accurate sound for little - pay a lot more and you can do much better but the gap is wide I think.

Enough - good luck with it all...

Ported
Old 15th February 2013, 02:51 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Options for editing seem to have gone - speakers referenced were of course NS10s not ND10s. Where has edit gone?
Old 2nd July 2013, 02:26 PM   #49
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
...The highly praised Pioneer digital amplifiers use Icepower technology...
I just came back across this thread... I wouldn't consider myself a hard-core audiophile, but I like music and good sound. Several years ago I was introduced to the new ICEPower modules used in Pioneer's Elite line of HT receivers. I had a chance to pick up a brand new one for half-price. I was simply amazed at the the overall sonic quality of the sound. Everything I played through it - on relatively very inexpensive bookshelf speakers at the time - was silky smooth and rich sounding. Full of body and depth is about the only way I can describe it. It was, and remains the most expensive piece of commercial audio gear I own. I have since built a lot of different amps from AB to class D and T, and none of them can match the richness of the ICEPower amp sound. Today the Pioneer is at the heart of my HT and is paired with some Energy RC-30 floor standers and sound every bit as good.

One of audio DIY goals is to build a stereo amp rig using the ICEPower modules.

Rick
Old 2nd July 2013, 04:41 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
T amps are not the b all and end all... but for sound quality for buck I have not found anything close... buy a cheap DAC - add a valve buffer finish with a T amp (all pretty cheap on ebay) - compare to stuff costing many times as much - a DIYer on a budgets dream in my opinion...you can get a very good and accurate sound for little - pay a lot more and you can do much better but the gap is wide I think.
Completely agree with this statement, and I would like to share my experience:

My system:
Along L15D
Connexelectronic input power
hifimediy DAC (to my PC)
Chinese matisse buffer clone
ATLAS signal cables

No significant updates on this system.

I think I have a $200- $400 system, and very upgradable...

I didn't have the opportunity to directly compare with another amp at home,
but a month ago, I went to a electronic superstore, it sells amplifiers like denon, marantz, yamaha....

There was a sound of a +2000 system in demonstration.
I ask the seller where was the HIFI +2000 sound system as I could only ear detailess sound, and poor spacial sound.
the seller's face began to be white....

Hide this!Advertise here!