The most revealing, unforgiving and detailed class-T amplifier on the market ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I'll get the song later today and tell you how it sounds on my setup. Keep in mind that I am young, in my twenties (despite being active in the hifi scene for 15 years), can hear to 20kHz, and am very sensitive to higher frequencies. I just can't stand the over-brightness of what people call accurate reproduction.

I have 20 pairs of speakers both commercial and DIY. The ones I am listening to now have ruler flat frequency response and low distortion, so it can be considered a studio monitor.

If you are a recording artist, wouldn't it make sense to have for reference the kind of speakers what most of your listeners will be using? You want people to hear what you intended.

Hmmm... I just played back TRACY CHAPMAN - FAST CAR and there are no vocals in the recording, just humming. Did I get the right song?

Last edited by cotdt; 18th January 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 18th January 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Over brightness is not at all called accurate reproduction.

Accurate reproduction is when what you hear is the closest possible to the source signal.

So if the song is bright, it has to reproduce the brightness, if the song has sibilances it has to show ... if the track is badly engineered and sounds harsh and thin and crap .. then it's how you are supposed to hear it.

A studio speaker + amp + dac does just this ... show crap when there is crap and only sounds good when the mix and master are outstanding.

TRACY CHAPMAN _ FAST CAR ... has vocals in it
Old 18th January 2013, 02:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I sent you a PM regarding the track.

Considering that every piece of gear sounds different, despite all measuring well, how does one determine which is more accurate? There are just so many factors. I have more amplifiers than I can count, and it's my T-amps that have the worst problem with bright metallic sounds. Even if I plug in HD650 headphones into a T-amp, it sounds bright and thin, which as everyone knows, is not how this headphone sounds.

What I'm trying to say is, we can't assume that the harshest sounding gear is always the most accurate.
Old 18th January 2013, 02:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just describe the vocals of the song I told you, if you describe it correctly I will tell you if your system is accurate in the mid/highs
Old 18th January 2013, 02:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

If you can look past Class D, I think the Gainclone sounds more neutral.
Old 18th January 2013, 02:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvin2 View Post
Just describe the vocals of the song I told you, if you describe it correctly I will tell you if your system is accurate in the mid/highs
Haha... which system? I can't test the T-amps anymore, I gave them away to my grandmother and cousin. But if I can somehow get the song, I'll let you know.

You realize that at 8kHz, there's a +-30dB variation (!) in hearing amongst different individuals... I'm not sure my descriptions will match what you hear even if our systems were identical.
Old 18th January 2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
The amp is too bright and sibilant to listen to an extended period of time. It might be that I am young, or that my Twisted Pear DAC is highly revealing, but I find the T-amp to not be accurate.
That could be higher order harmonics, like 7th and so. They tend to make an amp sound bright. I need to get in there and measure a few T-Amps again. Maybe that's what is bothering you.

When I was in my 20s I was not a fan of tweeters. Most sounded artificial and "Hi-Fi" to me, not like the sounds I hear in nature. 30 years later, they don't bother me as much. I still hear a lot of speakers with too much tweeter, tho . With T-Amps and others with a low pass filter on the output, you have to be careful with impedance. Too light a load and you will get a real boost at the very top. For us old folks, we may not notice it much, younger ears will.

FWIW, in tests of T-Amps vs Gainclone vs Tube (all well built), we have always picked tube, but the T-amp was not far behind. The Gainclones always sounded muddy and closed in, no space. No bad, but not as good as the tube or Tripath. Tastes vary,
Old 18th January 2013, 02:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Back to the original question, the 2024 Tripath chip in a well built amp has always sounded the most detailed to me. But I can't see using it for pro monitoring, as it's so low power. The bigger chips and chip sets are very nice, but not as detailed.
Old 18th January 2013, 03:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Back to the original question, the 2024 Tripath chip in a well built amp has always sounded the most detailed to me. But I can't see using it for pro monitoring, as it's so low power. The bigger chips and chip sets are very nice, but not as detailed.
Pro audio monitoring and mixing engineering is made at whisper level Top professionals don't blast the speakers For example I use the big monitors to impress clients and very rarely to test for lows.

Are you saying the the 2024 is the most detailed and revealing chip for tripath ?

If so what's wrong with the more powerful chips ?
Old 18th January 2013, 03:09 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

Nothing wrong with the others, they have their own good points, one being power.
The 2020 is my favorite for its well rounded sound. The 2024 does have a bit of an advantage in subjective resolution, tho.

Give either a good power supply, good quality caps and well built output filter and you're ready to go.

Hide this!Advertise here!