In search of the best value/performance amplifier... Is it possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I know, but I am just worried about the loudness since I will usually play music from my ipod. Also, I would like to add a fan. Would it be possible?

I usually drop volts from the main supply to supply a fan.
Usually means a big resistor (or two).
I use computer fans as they are cheap and easy to find.
You can also get quite large ones if you are going to create serious heat.

I often put my amps in pc case and have two fans, placing them at diagonal corners to ensure a good flow through the case.

@nigelwright7557 thanks for the answer. So I can connect the fan on atx output and control the voltage of the fan by adding a resistor in row. Am I correct?

Also, can someone recommend me a good resistance value for the volume pot? I searched for years on the net and no one is referring to a value? I think a 10k would be good enough, but I might be wrong.

I would think the Topping TP31 or something like it would be perfect for driving an ipod or iphone stereo because you can bypass the crappy internal DAC and run the digital output right into the coaxial input of the topping unit. A few people at work are running their iphones into computer speakers and this sounds fairly terrible. A pair of DIY full range speakers with a TP31 should blow this arrangement out of the water without spending a great deal of money.

I don't know if it's possible to bypass the crappy DAC inside the iPod/iPhone without doing major surgery or writing custom software. If it was easily possible, I would have done it already.

Sorry, I actually used the ipod/iphone term to represent all digital playing devices on the market. The less expensive Topping TP20 MK2 or similar without the DAC would then be the preferred unit. For those with digital outputs, the TP31 is a nice one box alternative.

What a ridiculous question.

In the same breath you could ask "What is the most cost effective and best car available ?"

Same conclusion.

The same people will argue that the Trabant is the most cost effective - it costs pennies and goes from A to B.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous question.

In the same breath you could ask "What is the most cost effective and best car available ?"

Not really true right? The question is only about a good price/performance amplifier. Everybody knows that for the same amount spend a Skoda have a better price/performance ratio over time than a Fiat. But the Fiat is much more beautifull, but the Skoda will have less repairs.

Back in the old days the NAD 3020 had the best price/performance ratio. In recent times it was the Trends amplifier, and after that a bunch of chinese stuff that might og might not stand up to that category.

My own modern favorite is a used Panasonic SA-XR50 for less than 100$ on the used marked. But only spdif input - analog is crap.

Or my own DIY price/performance winner is a Connex Electronics NXP8950th module with a 300 Watt toroidal transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.