In search of the best value/performance amplifier... Is it possible? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default In search of the best value/performance amplifier... Is it possible?

Hello diyers,

I am planning on building an amplifier for my new speakers (Dali Zensor 1). After some search I ended on the following:

I will use the preamplifier as volume pot. Can i use the aux output to power the amplifier? Also, do i need softstart or not?
Old 12th January 2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Banned

You dont need the preamp board at all if you just wanna use the pot.
Old 12th January 2013, 03:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
You dont need the preamp board at all if you just wanna use the pot.
Yes I know, but I am just worried about the loudness since I will usually play music from my ipod. Also, I would like to add a fan. Would it be possible?
Old 13th January 2013, 01:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

bump.....
Old 15th January 2013, 01:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itopalid View Post
Yes I know, but I am just worried about the loudness since I will usually play music from my ipod. Also, I would like to add a fan. Would it be possible?
I usually drop volts from the main supply to supply a fan.
Usually means a big resistor (or two).
I use computer fans as they are cheap and easy to find.
You can also get quite large ones if you are going to create serious heat.

I often put my amps in pc case and have two fans, placing them at diagonal corners to ensure a good flow through the case.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

@nigelwright7557 thanks for the answer. So I can connect the fan on atx output and control the voltage of the fan by adding a resistor in row. Am I correct?

Also, can someone recommend me a good resistance value for the volume pot? I searched for years on the net and no one is referring to a value? I think a 10k would be good enough, but I might be wrong.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:47 AM   #7
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
If you want the best value, you would just buy a 50W T-amp or Gainclone amp that's already built, and you don't need a preamp. If you want good sound quality, then ditch the iPod for a dedicated DAC.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I would think the Topping TP31 or something like it would be perfect for driving an ipod or iphone stereo because you can bypass the crappy internal DAC and run the digital output right into the coaxial input of the topping unit. A few people at work are running their iphones into computer speakers and this sounds fairly terrible. A pair of DIY full range speakers with a TP31 should blow this arrangement out of the water without spending a great deal of money.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:47 PM   #9
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I don't know if it's possible to bypass the crappy DAC inside the iPod/iPhone without doing major surgery or writing custom software. If it was easily possible, I would have done it already.
Old 15th January 2013, 11:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
I don't know if it's possible to bypass the crappy DAC inside the iPod/iPhone without doing major surgery or writing custom software. If it was easily possible, I would have done it already.
Sorry, I actually used the ipod/iphone term to represent all digital playing devices on the market. The less expensive Topping TP20 MK2 or similar without the DAC would then be the preferred unit. For those with digital outputs, the TP31 is a nice one box alternative.

Hide this!Advertise here!