SMPS stiffener cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SMPS impedance is dominated by the control loop inside the power supply. Adding excessive capacitance will most likely unbalance it, making the impedance worse at some frequencies, or making it oscillate altogether. "Stiffener caps" have always been myths; even in automotive applications, it's hard to beat the internal impedance of a lead-acid battery.

Tim

OK, understood. I do want to try adding a cap as it's easily reversible if I dont like it. You are probably right but it's worth a shot.

The back of the Meanwell is labelled:

+V, -V, ground, N, L

Right now the dc output is running to the amp from the +V and -V.

If I hook up a 50V, 2,200 uf cap between +V and ground on the power supply this should work, correct? The positive lead of the cap would go to +V and the negative lead to ground, correct?

SMPS impedance is dominated by the control loop inside the power supply. Adding excessive capacitance will most likely unbalance it, making the impedance worse at some frequencies, or making it oscillate altogether. "Stiffener caps" have always been myths; even in automotive applications, it's hard to beat the internal impedance of a lead-acid battery.

Tim

Too much capacitance on the output of the SMPS can cause it to go into overload mode and switch off.
The smps will be running at hundreds of KHz so doesn't need big capacitors like a 50Hz system would.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.