IGBT based class D amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any way one can make use of IGBT power module like EUPEC FZ1200R12KL4C, its capable of 1200A and 7.8KW.
I have one and was wondering if one could use it to swap the output stage of class D amplifier ??? Target 2KW subwoofer amp.???

Attachments

• fz1200r12kl4c-eupec-infineon-new-1.jpg
    fz1200r12kl4c-eupec-infineon-new-1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 529
  • fz1200r12kl4c-eupec-infineon-new-2.jpg
    fz1200r12kl4c-eupec-infineon-new-2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 505
  • datasheet.pdf
    263.4 KB · Views: 192
No, there's no way to adopt such IGBT's for amp output stage... reason being - these bricks are way too slow.

And I'm guessing, U don't have much experience ? 7.8k is the maximum dissipated power at 25deg.C. Not the abilities of transferring the power. If such bricks w'd be fast enough, then single brick (half bridge) w'd be capable of doing dozens of kW.

It's probably good for 500A rms inverter which in turn yields 300 kW in bridge configuration. Fsw would be 10kHz max. Do you have hundred kW woofer?:p
EDIT driver for such a thing costs about the same as module itself - have fun if you got it for free...

Last edited:
the specs look quite interesting actually! very low total gate charge, switching times seem to be very fast, but what they don't list the On Resistance. In this case would be Rec (Rds for a mosfet) If the Rec is high, you will suffer a lot of loss and hence a lot of heat during the on transitions.

IGBT's i think were designed for switchers and inverter type applications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.