New Baby Boomers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some photos of a couple mew portables. The cases are vintage French made clarinet cases cr. early 60's. reinforced with 1/4" board to give them more stiffnes.
One has a pair of Aura NS3-193-8A and a modified Sure 2024 amp with a Li-ion 12v battery for power. The second one have Tang Ban W3-881SJF full range drivers with a small low pass filter and a Sure TPA3122D2 amp with the same Li-ion battery pack.
I find these are really fun and challenging projects and would like to thank all the folks on this forum for all your help. :hohoho:

Attachments

• pati and sash sm.jpg
    pati and sash sm.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Pati sm.jpg
    Pati sm.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 265
  • sash sm.jpg
    sash sm.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 249
They both sound quite decent for such a little box. The Aura/2024 has a nicer full rich sound with a little better bass than the Tang-Ban/3122 combination. The Tang-Ban/3122 is quite a bit louder but a tiny bit thin. All and all I am quite happy with the way they turned out. Friends who have heard them are quite amazed by the sound and volume they put out. I have one more case to work with- not sure what I will put in it. I'm pretty much limited with the 12v battery supply.

OK that is what I expected! I went for the Aura for that reason.
I must say that your builds look really great, I guess they turn a few heads.

I have thought of making one with a 4 channel amp split to 2inch full-rangers and to some "sub". Like an active crossover. Then the sub can be used to fill out the low end at low SPL, and then run the full rangers only when battery time is an issue. But I'm not sure if that is really a good idea, just an idea I have.

Congratulations, they're cool! I have something similar in mind so this is good inspiration. Unfortunately the speakers you're using are not as widely/cheaply available in Europe and shipping+taxes is generally a deal breaker for me when buying from US so I'm currently looking into alternatives. Tang Band W3-665SC is on my short list in order to stay low budget (can be found for €10) but I'm not sure how they compare. Logitech have used them with success in their computer speakers though so it's supposedly a tried and tested driver.

Update to the above: I managed to find the Aura's for a reasonable price (about €16 here in Denmark) but the same shop also has Monacor SPX-32M for around €20 which could be just as interesting. In any case the odd looking wooden phase plug would be a neat match for a retro style box like yours!

Thanks for all your positive comments.
Bare- There isn't a lot of separation of the speakers but what can you do with such a small case. They are sealed in separate sealed enclosures inside the case.
Thor Ra- I buy the Aura's from Sollen for about $16 so that's pretty close to what you are paying. It's actually the power supply that's the most expensive component.

cheers- :hohoho:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.