Lepai 2020 - no sound at all! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Crypto is offline Crypto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Lepai 2020 - no sound at all!

Hi, can anyone help me with my problem? I received my Lepai TA2020 through the post today and it seems DOA. The LED powers on but there is no sound from the speakers at all. No bump, no click, no hiss, nothing at all.
However, there is some kind of very silent but audible clicking going on in the circuit itself, around the amp chip. It's active and after leaving the thing on and running for a few minutes, the heatsink starts to warm up. From what I can gather reading old posts here, this seems to be the newer Lepai TA2020 circuit.
What could be the problem? My power supply is 10V DC, 2A. Thanks

EDIT: Just tried a 12V DC @ 500 mA power supply. No change at all.

If anyone is thinking of buying this amplifier I strongly advise them to ignore the recommendations on this website particularly and just don't buy it. I was a fool to buy Chinese.

Last edited by Crypto; 20th December 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well... hard to argue with your views on buying Chinee :-)
Having said that I was saddened to learn that Europe is China's Main Market.. I had previously assumed it was North America.. Wrong! again.

Your Lepai is clearly pre broken. These things work passably well (not outstandingly well though, despite repeated babblings on 'here')
Sounds like the Relay Biggish block by the terminal end is somehow messed Or something else is Causing it to 'click' Try Reflowing the solder joints and if that fails? Drop it in to the trashbin.. before it causes you yet more grief.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you bought using Paypal you can get your money back.
Old 21st December 2012, 04:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The clicking is the self resetting nature of the circuit, with fault tied to mute via a diode I believe. It's a sign the IC is probably dead.
Old 21st December 2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Crypto is offline Crypto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yep, dead as a dodo. I'll just ask for a refund and waste no more time even thinking about it. It just gets my goat that someone can sell, as a part of their business, a new electrical appliance that never works even once. What's even worse is it has a 'QC passed' sticker on it. Says a lot about Chinese manufacturing and business ethics, or rather their lack thereof. Thanks for the tips guys. I won't waste a second more on the item except chasing up the refund.
Old 22nd December 2012, 06:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It was likely returned after someone broke it, and "restocked" without being checked.
These amps are notoriously easy to fry by pulling out a speaker lead while it's running.
Old 22nd December 2012, 08:21 AM   #7
msj965 is offline msj965  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
Hi, can anyone help me with my problem? I received my Lepai TA2020 through the post today and it seems DOA. The LED powers on but there is no sound from the speakers at all. No bump, no click, no hiss, nothing at all.
However, there is some kind of very silent but audible clicking going on in the circuit itself, around the amp chip. It's active and after leaving the thing on and running for a few minutes, the heatsink starts to warm up. From what I can gather reading old posts here, this seems to be the newer Lepai TA2020 circuit.
What could be the problem? My power supply is 10V DC, 2A. Thanks

EDIT: Just tried a 12V DC @ 500 mA power supply. No change at all.

If anyone is thinking of buying this amplifier I strongly advise them to ignore the recommendations on this website particularly and just don't buy it. I was a fool to buy Chinese.
Try to use 12v 2-5 amps it happen to me before when I use lower value.
Old 11th June 2014, 12:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

This was my problem too. 1200mA supply not enough to activate the circuit (clicks in after about 1 second). 5A supply no problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!