Are you getting back to TA2024 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

After I put the Sure TK2050 into the enclosure with lots of space left, I decided to use the same enclosure for my old SI 5066 (TA2024) Rev D. I was finally able to complete the project yesterday (due to catching a cold and staying home with plenty of time).

Now, having two amps in the same housing, I did some quick A/B tests. For the mods, both have added a 15000uf tank cap and replaced with same MKT1813 2.2uF input caps. Although the TK2050 has more power (it has also burned in, maybe about 25 hours or so), I feel there is some magic in the SI TA2024 that the Sure TK2050 doesn't have. I can't say for sure what it is but it seems like the magic is in the vocal section. The TA2024 seems less harsh as well. Of course, I am still thinking about more mods for the TK2050. Next mod for TK2050 is the output coils (now stock). I'd like to try air core coils but just need to get some magnet wire.

Are you also getting back to the TA2024 ? What's your thought ?;)

Glad to hear another TA2024 is up and runnng !

I went further modding my SI by replacing the output inductors to toroids. Found four T50-52 in a local surplus store. I know the permeability (u) is higher than optimum, but they only asked for 25 cents a piece. Bought four and wound 18 turns of AWG 18 wire each (10uH). After replacement, the amp is at a different level. The amp is definitely more powerful with improvement in almost all areas.

(TK2050's output coils were also changed with Toroids with similar improvements)

Although the TK2050 has more power (it has also burned in, maybe about 25 hours or so), I feel there is some magic in the SI TA2024 that the Sure TK2050 doesn't have.

The magic has nothing to do with power. Remember the tube amp section and they always swear about magic comming out from 2 x 5 Watts.

But I made same experiences like you with a Sure TK2050 Stereo board in the past. It was not bad. Had also very wide soundstage but was sounding a bit thin (one reviewer used the word like "iron deficiency". Not harsh but also not so smooth like a TK2050 from Hifimediy. If you have 8 Ohm speakers I would highly recommend battery powered Hifimediy T1. And I think, more magic than in TA2024 is in the TA2020 :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.