New and compact TA2020 board - opinions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Thor Ra is offline Thor Ra  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default New and compact TA2020 board - opinions?

NOOB ALERT! Ok, now you're warned.

Anybody with an opinion about this little guy?

It seems pretty clean and equipped with half decent components to me but then so did Amy Winehouse when she was alive.
Knowing you guys have a reputation for promiscuous women, pink elephants and polka I figured this might be the right place for some amplified input on the above.

Last edited by Thor Ra; 27th November 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks nice, all through-hole, but at that price and without a power supply or case, etc, it's not a great deal.
Old 27th November 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
Looks nice, all through-hole, but at that price and without a power supply or case, etc, it's not a great deal.
Thanks.

Any suggestions to where I can buy better quality for around 24 bucks with shipping which doesn't need (or requires very little) DIY in order to sound good?

Paying slightly more is ok too especially if it's available from a European seller since I have to pay VAT + import fee when buying from outside EU.

A case and perhaps some RCA inputs are on the nice to have list but I don't need a power supply since I plan to use 3 of these (or similar) in my car and run them off the battery. The lack of pots is also sort of a plus i my book.
Old 1st December 2012, 05:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have this one and like it a lot.
YJ TA2020 20W 20W Class D Amplifier Board | eBay
Old 1st December 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Second that; the YJ is a good by
Old 1st December 2012, 11:52 PM   #6
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I see electrolytic capacitors on that small board... In the signal-input path.... Not a good choice for audio quality, but then again, for that price I'd put some nice caps there to start with.

Also, smaller boards mean less space for mods.
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamacc View Post
I see electrolytic capacitors on that small board... In the signal-input path.... Not a good choice for audio quality, but then again, for that price I'd put some nice caps there to start with.

Also, smaller boards mean less space for mods.
The two electrolytics appear to be the tank capacitors on the power supply to the chip. Electrolytics in this application are normal. The input capacitors appear to be film caps and there appears to be space for mods in these locations.

Appearance wise, the inductors appear to be a possible weak link. Listening to the unmodified vs a board with other inductors will tell whether the supplied inductors are adequate.

The volume control and RCAs could be upgraded, but whether or not the expense for such mods yield sonic results, IMHO, is questionable.
Old 2nd December 2012, 05:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
The two electrolytics appear to be the tank capacitors on the power supply to the chip. Electrolytics in this application are normal.
There are 2 qty 2.2uf electrolytics coming off the 3.5mm jack on the left side of the pcb. These are the ones he's referring to.
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I went ahead and bought a few of the small boards before the YJ was recommended to me. I like small packages so I hope it won't disappoint when I receive it just in time for Christmas.

I might change the 2.2uF electrolytics to e.g. Mundorf MCap MKP if you think it will make a noticeable difference. I also took notes about the inductors.

Anything else worth considering?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

IMO there's No need to go to overpriced input caps, as I discovered
(tripped over That the silly 1$ each yellow film caps sound better than Mundorfs in one of my ta 2020's.
Dunno why actually, maybe the higher esr of the cheapies?
Ain't that counterintuitive and contrary to Internet Folklore :-)
Regardless, they definitely sound better.
Experiment (widely) for best result.

Hide this!Advertise here!