SystemD_2kW, any interest for an open design?

Hi Reactance,
basically it is possible to feed the D-portion from the feedback through the
OPamp as shown in your schematic, but it is demanding for the OPamp.
In order to achieve a behavior similar to an ideal OPamp you will need something fast. Furtheron you have a loop with high impedances and high gain at high frequencies ==> critical with respect to self disturbance of the amp.

For these two reasons, I have chosen not to feed the D portion through the OP amp, but through the two BJTs in common base connection.

Hi Reactance,
basically it is possible to feed the D-portion from the feedback through the
OPamp as shown in your schematic, but it is demanding for the OPamp.
In order to achieve a behavior similar to an ideal OPamp you will need something fast. Furtheron you have a loop with high impedances and high gain at high frequencies ==> critical with respect to self disturbance of the amp.

For these two reasons, I have chosen not to feed the D portion through the OP amp, but through the two BJTs in common base connection.

Hi Choc man.

I have a few questions, with the two feedback nodes pre and post feedback, would it be useful to add compensation and add a LP pole just before the amplification stage which can aid as a HF band rejection filter or maybe an "Active filter and increase the number of poles" uhmm

Example a roll off of approx 600kHz in the HF switching region (depending on the switching frequency of course) this is to help with with modulation junk being injected into the power amplification stage.

Another idea i was thinking of (More protection)
Add a circuit that monitors the switching frequency coming from the modulator if the switching frequency is *NOT* in range within the design, shut the amp down.

what do you think ?

Hi Reactance,
the pre filter feedback is just providing the hysteresis.
Regarding the neg feedback from post filter, please have a look to the considerations in the early postings of my thread about the SystemD MD.
It is up to you to experiment with your proposal, if you can reach good step response, low distortion, fit with normal OP amps and sufficient ruggedness vs self disturbance.

Shut down:
It is a question of philosophy. I prefer to spend components a circuit, which controls the output ripple via switching frequency and at the same time reduces distortion (==> dynamic hysteresis), rather than spending components to shut down when the frequency goes low. Shuting down is not a preferred situation, preferred is to have the amp playing the music.
Already the shut down with automatic restart in case of over current is a the limit what I can accept.

Today I found time for incoming inspection of the LM306.
1. We will definitely need a pull up at the output, because of the low sourcing capability of the LM306.
2. +5V for Vcc+ is not sufficient. It simply does not operate with that. At +12V everything is fine. Data sheet does not specify a min necessary Vcc+. +12V is recommended and you will find some data, when operated at +10V. So we can expect that any Vcc+ between +10V...+12V will be fine.
....will keep both topics in mind for the next update of schematic.

Hi Kanwar,
you already said the reason.
I want to provide the option for a crappy comparator, which is easily available in DIP8.
LM160/360 and LM161/361 turned out out to be hard to get and furtheron TI completely canceled the related DIP8 versions. Portfolio clearing after company fusions always kills the best products... :mad:

Hi Kanwar,
you already said the reason.
I want to provide the option for a crappy comparator, which is easily available in DIP8.
LM160/360 and LM161/361 turned out out to be hard to get and furtheron TI completely canceled the related DIP8 versions. Portfolio clearing after company fusions always kills the best products... :mad:

Agreed but one can make a DIP adapter for SMD comparator and use it to evaluate other comparators as well.

But its DIP version is available here at Newark/Mouser/Digikey:eek:

LM361N/NOPB - NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR - IC, DIFFERENTIAL COMP, SINGLE | Newark

LM361N/NOPB Texas Instruments | Mouser

LM361N/NOPB Texas Instruments | LM361N/NOPB-ND | DigiKey

After rechecking why I did not put it to my preferred list - I agree on the LM361. For this type the DIP seems to remain uncanceled - so this was not the reason.
Main concern on LM361 was that it is 14 PIN, wasted for 3x NC and two strobes which we do not need. Nevertheless, I am starting to consider it again.
You think I should enable the PCB even for LM361, NE529?

...would mean overall: LT1016, MAX913, LM306, LM361, NE529 and with SOIC adaptors even more.
@all: Please drop your opinion whether I should add the LM361, NE529.

Hm, in the layout this triple comparator thing will consume slightly more space, but should be possible.
I found another critical point: Sensing of the OCP might become headache, with the series diodes inside the sensing loops.
...will reconfigure a little bit... sensing of high side... and might move the series diode of the low side towards the source instead of drain...

Config of Over Current Protection

Two configurations for discussion.

OCP1 has a rearranged switching stage and the IRS20957S can directly see the Uds of the upper and the lower MosFet.
The data sheet basically would allow the resulting fast changes of the floating Vss. Theoretically - but I never tried and I am not sure if we can trust in this.
Furtheron this arrangement also slightly impacts the driver voltages and also the overvoltage protection would need some reconfiguration.
Zero real life experience how IRS20957 will act and which pitfalls in layout are related to this.
Overall a configuration with many potential risks.

OCP2 is giving direct information to IRS20957 about the Uds of the high side MosFet, but the low side detects Vds+Vf.
Vds+Vf will be about 500..700mV larger than Vds, ==> I adjusted the OCP divider accordingly.
More unpleasant is that Vds+Vf will have systematically more disturbances than the nicely snubbered Vds only. ==> Layout less forgiving.
Also the temperature coefficent of Vf is negative, which will reduce the feature of temperature depending shut down levels.
Overall some downsides visible, but not to many unknown risks.

I am voting for the configuration OCP2.
What do you think?
Or are there already real life experiences for the attached configurations with IRS20957?

Attachments

• SystemD_2k4_DiscussionOCP1.pdf
    138.7 KB · Views: 417
  • SystemD_2k4_DiskussionOCP2.pdf
    138.4 KB · Views: 365
In the schematics of the previous posting the switching stages look so simple.
Two MosFets, four diodes and some rail caps.

The attached file shows my model in LT-Spice of one reasonable layout arrangement for the version OCP2. The model translates the obvious parasitics of the layout and also ESR and LSR of the caps into an equivalent electrical circuit.
Not modeled are the less obvious parasitics, which would need a 3D FE simulation of the electrical and magnetic fields......

Why do I attempt to model it?
- It is always better to know about the short comings of a layout, rather than living on the edge as a result of trial and error.
- Trashing multiple real PCBs is expensive. Better spend the money on components, but not on trashing FR4. Of course a perfect first shot is unrealistic, but a satisfying good working first shot is clearly my goal.
- Less repetitive 'dumb work'.

Layout is by far not ready, but started.
Please note, the large inductance (L_snub3, L_snub4) of the snubbers is an intended resonant optimization. ==> Good snubbering with a small snubber cap and low snubber losses. The inductance could be reached by a large geometric loop of the snubber, but for the sake of radiated EMI I will keep the loops small and adjust the inductance by small torroids (material 2 or 6) across the legs of the snubber resistors.

Hope you can see the model in the attached file.
So far transferring the WMF from LTspice into a word file seems to be the best method to post larger schematics from LTspice....

Attachments

• SwitchingStage.doc
    44 KB · Views: 244
Why do I attempt to model it?
- It is always better to know about the short comings of a layout, rather than living on the edge as a result of trial and error.
- Trashing multiple real PCBs is expensive. Better spend the money on components, but not on trashing FR4. Of course a perfect first shot is unrealistic, but a satisfying good working first shot is clearly my goal.
- Less repetitive 'dumb work'.

Really true, im curious how did you calculate the inductance for a PCB track? my meter cannot go that low.. of course speaking under the assumption you didn't feed a high frequency signal into the track path and view the respected change of the signal. Question is purely from a instrument measurement view.

Good work thus far.

Markus, what's your experience on PCB thickness and its impact to inductance and reliability? Next time I think am going to go for 0.4mm or even thinner PCB instead of typical 1.6mm FR4 PCB to cut the inductance. What I am concerned about is reliability, especially for SMD ceramic capacitors, like 0603, 1206 and 1812, which can fail if too much strain is applied to them. What do you think?

I also cannot measure it, except feeding a defined high di/dt through a track and measure the voltage drop. U= L*di/dt.
But there are good rules of thumb for calculation from geometry. It is not rocket science.
It is more about using old and well known fundamental know how.
Have a look to slyp173 from TI.
www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyp173/slyp173.pdf

Thanks for the material, read a few parts of the paper that i found interesting not all (got a bit lazy)

Ive also educated myself with more supporting matreial that can help one gets to PCB devlopment like ESR, resonance circuits.

ambientelectrons - YouTube

BTW have you tried to tame mosfet gate drive ringing using "axel bead HF inductors".. i would really like to see the effects its has in the 50Mhz region. Its a pity i havent developed a home made PCB (ever) im trying to gather as muchas i can before undertaking expensive options like this.

@Adam:
Answering your questions on PCB thickness and SMD caps might violate the trust of my employer. Sorry, there will be once and while topics that I cannot share. (For the same reason I reduced and finally stopped to comment on the SMPS discussions, because my work evolved more and more close to that topic.)

@Reactance:
So far my gate drive always turned reasonably calm, as soon as the drain-source-snubbering was OK. Up to now my gate snubbers (if any at all) were more a cosmetic topic. Also in the current design I am not convinced whether I will really need them.
Do you mean 'axel bead HF inductors' or axial bead HF inductors?
In case you really mean 'axel', please post a link/picture - never heard this name.

@Tower:
...let's hope that we will still like the design idea, when reality enters the catwalk. ;)

Markus, what's your experience on PCB thickness and its impact to inductance and reliability? Next time I think am going to go for 0.4mm or even thinner PCB instead of typical 1.6mm FR4 PCB to cut the inductance. What I am concerned about is reliability, especially for SMD ceramic capacitors, like 0603, 1206 and 1812, which can fail if too much strain is applied to them. What do you think?

Well i prefer 2.4mm thick PCBs which allow me to directly solder SMD 805 chip ceramics vertically from TOP to Bottom layer thru holes[NPTH] in key places and works like a magic.;)