Caps Recomendation - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TDA2030A Caps

I am out of my depth regarding caps for this unit. From what I can see of your photo and similar ones online, it looks as if all the caps may be electrolytic except two. From what I read there are also caps that control the Zobel network and those caps should not be arbitrarily swapped.

I performed a search for the TDA203A and the majority of the threads I saw were in the Chip Amps forum. There is a lot of information regarding this circuit available. I think you will get better information regarding swapping caps for this specific circuit in the Chip Amps forum.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:11 AM   #12
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Davet
I found the threads on the chip amp forum
Old 18th November 2012, 06:21 AM   #13
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Erm.. TDA's are not Tripaths . Of completely different Manufacture and format even.
Often Using the Component values as per the makers' Datasheet are an improvement in themselves Asian board makers often depart from the Suggested circuits.
Changing Caps. at least Input ones are largely dependent on YOUR system/setup and Your perceptions and the state of your personal hearing loss (being Retired :-)
What works on a posted example may or may not please you.
Sometimes 1$ caps please more than the 50$ ones.. too true.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:39 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
Mid sized electrolytics:
1000uF, 2200uF, 4700uF Panasonic FR

Small electrolytics:
10uF, 47uF, 100uF Panasonic EB

Polyester:
100nF, 220nF, 470nF Wima or Epcos

All of the caps listed are cheap, and the electrolytics are rated for high temp and long life. This list covers 90% of the values I use for various amps.

Polypropylene caps are supposed to be great, but most of the time I can't get the value I need in a size that will fit. Also, being more expensive, I don't want to order a bunch to have on hand.
I disagree on Panasonic EB series. 'long life' of an inferior capacitor is no bargain. In high stress applications the low ESR cap will have less internal heating - heat being the cause of 'lytic failures whether internally or externally applied. FRs, FM, FC in that order for through hole. Nichicon HZ for computer caps. Panasonic FP, FK for SMT

I buy caps for my employer and will not touch the low ESR caps. The reason I buy them is to replace other junk. If I didn't enjoy changing them the first time it's a good bet I won't like doing it again. Also my time is worth WAY more than the price difference.

G
Old 18th November 2012, 03:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Panasonic FR, FM and FC are all toted as low ESR, but then you say you won't touch low ESR caps.

Also, you shun the EB series, yet you don't give any suitable replacement in small values.

Last edited by Redshift187; 18th November 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 18th November 2012, 04:06 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezden View Post
What are the appropriate V ratings best for these mods.
When in doubt, take the power supply voltage (double it if it's a dual polarity supply, + and -), then use the SECOND higher voltage capacitor available.

Eg, 12V supply, skip the 16V and use 25V. Gives you a good safety margin. You might need to go with only the first higher voltage if the power supply isn't *too* close to the value *and* you can't fit the higher voltage version.

Larger voltage capacitors are sometimes bigger, but usually have better ripple current capabilities and lower ESR, giving longer life.
Old 18th November 2012, 04:11 PM   #17
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Redshift- That's exactly what I was looking for
Old 18th November 2012, 06:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Panasonic FR, FM and FC are all toted as low ESR, but then you say you won't touch low ESR caps.

Also, you shun the EB series, yet you don't give any suitable replacement in small values.
Because I had a senior moment and meant to say I use only low ESR caps.
Apologies for that.

FC series goes down to 1uF and EBs down to 0.47uF. Since the tolerances on 'lytics is so broad it wouldn't bother me to simply change the value to 1 uF. My criterion is largest ripple current - inversely related to ESR but for the really small values it's kind of nonsense and would more likely use something other than 'lytics.

I have to tell you though that I'm a minimalist on capacitors in the signal path and will use a few as possible and a minimum of 'lytics in the signal path. People say one type of 'lytic sounds better than another and I don't dispute that but doesn't it stand to reason that a wire (no cap) will sound better than any cap?

Power supplies are a different issue and I will use filters and bypasses liberally.

G

Last edited by stratus46; 18th November 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Okay, I can agree with all that, and I certainly do everything in my power to avoid using electrolytics (and even capacitors in general) in the signal path as well. My first amp design was a DC coupled servo amp.

I just compared the ripple current of the EB with the FR for the 10uF/50V, and I'll never use the EB again. The FR are far superior than even the FC for ripple current. I guess I didn't notice the FC and FR went down that low in value (once you get up far enough in voltage).

Updated list

Electrolytics:
10uF, 47uF, 100uF, 1000uF, 2200uF, 4700uF Panasonic FR

Polyester:
100nF, 220nF, 470nF, 1uF Wima or Epcos
Old 23rd November 2012, 05:11 PM   #20
Trebla is offline Trebla  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Prezden.

Before you get carried away changing all the caps.
Listen to each amp for a good few hours, and give them chance to run in.
Get aquainted with the sound of each amp, before you start work.
Otherwise you won't know if you've managed to improve anything.
Probably best to just concentrate on one at a time.
I can imagine things getting very confusing if you don't.

Hide this!Advertise here!