LP-2020A+ mod thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the role of the output caps (near the inductors) I see in the pictures?
Are they worth to be changed?

They are part of the low pass filter that turns the Class D output square wave into an audio signal. You could use better caps (film, as these are most likely ceramic), but stick with the values shown unless you know how to calculate the right values for your speakers.

It's a pretty good unit. Common parts and the schematic is available online. Mine is all-original and still going strong at 35 years old. There's one on ebay now for a $25 bid including shipping.
I never met a power transformer I didn't like. I'll salvage 'em all, and have a few 5 gallon buckets full of different types.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just a small note to those who plan to heavily modify the Lepai:

If you plan to remove and/or bypass the volume and tone controls, and then spend some money on upgrading some other components, I suggest an alternative; buy this instead http://www.ebay.ca/itm/370738187019

It already has better components installed and it sounds fantastic compared to a stock Lepai, and it is basically the same price. Hook up your pre-amp of choice and Bob's your uncle. Sure you can still upgrade the main power cap to a bigger one and maybe stick in some POI input caps (I did both) but overall this is a better way to spend the 20 bucks and change, if you don't need the volume/tone and ugly chassis.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the answers, I like to mod stuff and I also like to keep, what I can, of the U.S dollars I have in the U.S.

This little thing is going to be used only for background music from a laptop in my machine/fab shop. From what I am seeing at PE and what's available from them, it looks like I would have to get any mod parts from Mouser anyway.

Output caps

Is there a suggested value for a 6 ohm speaker?

The TA2020 datasheet application test circuit shows 4 or 8 ohm load can be used, however there is an asterisk beside the 8ohm. In the notes section under the circuit, it states:

* Use Co = 0.22μF and Cz=0.22uF for 8 Ohm loads

That being the case I would try .33uF for 6 ohm.

Make one mod to one channel then compare left to right.

While I appreciate the answers, I like to mod stuff and I also like to keep, what I can, of the U.S dollars I have in the U.S.

This little thing is going to be used only for background music from a laptop in my machine/fab shop. From what I am seeing at PE and what's available from them, it looks like I would have to get any mod parts from Mouser anyway.

Well.. at least 'some' of the $ will go to 'muricans.
PE is only a reseller. Still a 'Made en Chine' lashup using fake components.
Although PE does give excellent service. Unlike Chinese Fleabay merchants.

IF after a cheapy? Hunt up a YJ ta 2020 amp on Fleabay.
Less Coin, also much reduced need to mod it as it's a much closer to the Tripath designed/suggested circuit.. than ANY lepai.. Box stock

Not quite the same

Take the oem Teeny inductors Off the board , unwind the hair thin windings, then rewind with the same number of turns (16) of heavier gauge Magnet wire. Instant upgraded Inductor coils, for a half hour's work and 1$ of wire.

Bare, I tried this and it takes a few more turns with thicker wire. The original wire on mine was appox 0.38mm thick and all measured right at 9.5 uH. I replaced with 0.65mm wire from a transformer. I played with it till I found a 12.5" length would give the desired 10uH. I think it was 22 turns? Best to use a meter.

I left two of the coils untouched on one side and modified two on the other. I wanted a side by side comparison. It may be a little while till I get to test as I've removed everything I want to change and I'm modding a nice little cigar box for it to go into.

That IS strange. Done more than a few over the years.
In truth tho.. usually a bit bigger / more involved than the Wee Lepai ones.
Although Given that it's a simple Hash filter circuit on these.
This really Will Not have audible effect .
Only the Series resistance bottleneck was the issue.

Sadly I've pretty well come to the end of my Patience with these Lepai boxes.
Another one ...just died... today!
First one I fried by tripping over the speaker wires .. Doh!
Second Lepai lost one channel all by itself... while operating.
Today the Third! one also shed a channel. Exactly as the 2nd one.
For No explicable reason.
Everything checks out.. except the Chip.
My Guess is that the Fake Ta 2020 chips fail after prolonged use.
(6 months??)
Possibly dependent on just how shitty that particular Fake production run was.
I have 3 remaining GENUINE Ta 2020 Chips..I won't be wasting/inserting any into these goof ball Lepai PCBs though.
One day (?) I'll build up a Tripath Circuit..

Well, I ordered one from PE. As well as a few other things to go with it. 4700uf cap for the power side and a pair of 2.2uf Audyn foil caps for the input side. I plan on bypassing the tone controls and wiping the board of both opamps. There should be enough room for both 2.2uf caps where the opamps use to be.

Originally, I was going to place it in a new case but decided that this little amp isn't worth all that. So, I am just going to bead blast the main case and re-paint and replace the end pieces with something else, just haven't decided on what yet. I am also loosing the spring speaker terminals for binding posts.

I should have the goods in by the end of the week and will follow up with a Mouser order to replace the inductors and caps on the output side.

Should be posting pics after the weekend.

teaser

looking good

Attachments

• Cigar.JPG
    Cigar.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 419
Well, I got the goods in today. But I won't be modding this one. Arrived DOA from PE. Really a let down. Been waiting and researching these things for a couple weeks only for it to get here and not work from the start. It lights up but no sound. Time to contact PE for a replacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.