LP-2020A+ mod thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, good to see people still playing with these. Anyway I might have damaged mine, not sure, thought I'd just post and see if anybody can help me.

the 2 wires ended up touching each other just after they come away from the board near the RCA plugs.

Well you couldn't have used thicker more problematic wire?
Musta been tricky not to have shorts with that stuff.
IMO good chance you've damaged the Ta chip.
Did similar when two speaker wires touched.. briefly.
These don't suffer ineptitude.. gladly.
IF you choose to Fix that thing, by inserting a fresh chip.. then DO wipe off the tone bits with a hot iron as they are Still in circuit.
And those wee electro caps are unlikely to be adding goodness :)

Bare

Does the wire thickness effect its ability to carry the signal properly? Or is there other reasons not to use such thick wire?
It was no problem to solder and it did not short, it was the previous wire that caused the issue I think.
OK thats about what I was guessing, I will get another chip and see how that goes.
When you say wipe off, do you mean remove the components?

It sure does if you want to recreate soundstage, otherwise it is like stage is upside down, but worse, if true directional xy mic were used the presentation will be really off sounding. Think about it like a 3d movie viewed with the goggles swapped left to right, doesn't have 3d effect anymore.

Not doubting you. Its just I don’t imagine a drum kit sounding any different if it was played upside down

reversed

I just noticed that the left right channels are reversed when using 3.5 mm jack input. Is this a well known issue on 2020+? I couldn't figure out why imaging was so much better with RCA inputs until I noticed snare drums switching sides under a/b testing. What a fat blunder on the circuit! :)

Dude, I just checked my amp and you're right. All of the threads and expert comments on modding this thing, how to make it sound better, give it more bass, etc, etc and you're the only person to realize the 3.5 connector is F***ed.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am too lazy to eff with it - I will just use a 3.5 mm to RCA cable and avoid the input :D Incredible how something like this makes it pass the circuit routing Q&A before going to production. But hey, who's complaining because the whole thing costs $20. It costs me $70 to fill up my car with gas so I keep in all in perspective :) I am glad mine wasn't a solo lemon board though.

Why not just reverse the speaker leads? You don't need an adapter for that.

Mine has the input fixed:

Attachments

• input_jacks.jpg
    input_jacks.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
pre amp section

I've had a couple of the NOS 6111WA tubes collecting dust. I found a decent schematic for a preamp and built it into my Gainclone. With a gain of 20, it added a nice little boost to the GC and a slight 'crispness' (to me) of the LM3886. Not going to tear it out of the GC but would like to build another to replace the sad opamp section in the Lepai. I can see using this Lepai board like Mardis did with the original T-amp. Mount it in a slightly larger enclosure and add a couple 10k uF caps to the resevoir cap, 2.2uF input caps and off board all connectors, switches and volume pot to better, case mounted dealios.

Tell us your plans!

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Tamasic,
Wanna share the tube preamp circuit and photos with us? I have sometimes thought of making a faux class A manly manly man amp with huge heatsinks and thick slabs of aluminum on the front with galvo gages and lights but with nothin but a measly class D TPa31xx inside, or a Tripath 2020. ;) Have a class A aficinado listen in an AB blind test and see if he can pick out the real class A ( without touching the fins to see which one will burn his hands).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Tamasic,
Wanna share the tube preamp circuit and photos with us? I have sometimes thought of making a faux class A manly manly man amp with huge heatsinks and thick slabs of aluminum on the front with galvo gages and lights but with nothin but a measly class D TPa31xx inside, or a Tripath 2020. ;) Have a class A aficinado listen in an AB blind test and see if he can pick out the real class A ( without touching the fins to see which one will burn his hands).

Hey xrk!

I'm going to cobble together something similar, except I plan to build an ultra-low budget hybrid integrated (tube pre and 2020 power).

I already own a 2020 and I have ordered a $21 "YJ" single 6N3 pre-amp kit, some switches and other small parts, an $8 power supply, etc. About $33 in total. Going to bypass the volume control on the 2020 (already bypassed the tone and opamp) to turn it into a straight power amp and then wire the pre-amp directly to the 2020. Stick it all in a homemade chassis and maybe even integrate a USB DAC.

I don't expect it to challenge an expensive amp, but it'll be fun as hell to build! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.