LP-2020A+ mod thread - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2013, 08:08 PM   #271
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
Fascinating test, as well as the distortion measurements. I still like it for the price for a computer amp, but it has nothing on my well designed chip amp for quality listening.
Exactly. It's a cheap amp and you will get what you pay for. For me, being a relative noob, modding it was fun as well as a learning experience.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:40 AM   #272
diyAudio Member

I have the latest double-relay Lepai+. I'm wondering two things:

Is it really worth upgrading the caps? Unlike reports of the awful appearance of caps from previous threads, this one seems to look pretty good. Perhaps they are just fine, or at least good enough. Should I even bother doing anything else to it? It doesn't seem so clear cut, reading this particular thread.

Is it worth correcting the dc offset? I have 79mv on one channel which I'm lead to understand is well in to distortion territory. The problem is that I'm not knowledgeable at electronics and the original dc offset correction guide is for a much earlier version, and no one has seen the need to do it for late versions.

My version is the attached pic, with the double relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8391pp_crop_h768.jpg (357.2 KB, 298 views)
Old 10th June 2013, 09:45 AM   #273
Banned

NO!!! It is NOT worth it!

Throw this lepai garbage in the trash and buy a properly made and laid out TA2020 amp.
Old 10th June 2013, 10:19 AM   #274
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post

Throw this lepai garbage in the trash and buy a properly made and laid out TA2020 amp.
Ok, but I've already got it and I don't mind making a few cheap mods/upgrades. And if I destroy it in the meantime, well tant pis, as the French would say.
Old 10th June 2013, 03:01 PM   #275
diyAudio Member

Quote:

While you are surely entitled to your opinion, please remember that this IS a "LP-2020A+ mod thread". While I agree modding these amps isn't money well spent, there still are reasons people want to do it. For myself, it was the first amp I had modded and would rather fry a $20.00 amp than a $200.00 one, if I had messed up.

If, in fact, the tests done by TMM are valid and the problems and noise are centered around the Korean made clone TA2020, then what would be the point in buying a "properly made and laid out TA2020 amp" when they will have the same Korean made clone TA2020?
Old 12th June 2013, 06:05 PM   #276
diyAudio Member

Quote:

If you had bothered to read through the thread you would see the TA2020 itself is full of overwhelming distortion.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:09 PM   #277
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMP LUMP View Post
While you are surely entitled to your opinion, please remember that this IS a "LP-2020A+ mod thread". While I agree modding these amps isn't money well spent, there still are reasons people want to do it. For myself, it was the first amp I had modded and would rather fry a $20.00 amp than a $200.00 one, if I had messed up.

If, in fact, the tests done by TMM are valid and the problems and noise are centered around the Korean made clone TA2020, then what would be the point in buying a "properly made and laid out TA2020 amp" when they will have the same Korean made clone TA2020?
I wonder why the clone is so noisy. Surely a die-copy is a copy? The packaging should have a negligible effect.

Unless they reverse engineered it somehow??

Or they reverse engineered the firmware (if it has any)?
Old 12th June 2013, 06:10 PM   #278
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
I have the latest double-relay Lepai+. I'm wondering two things:

Is it really worth upgrading the caps? Unlike reports of the awful appearance of caps from previous threads, this one seems to look pretty good. Perhaps they are just fine, or at least good enough. Should I even bother doing anything else to it? It doesn't seem so clear cut, reading this particular thread.
Yes. If I had a new one, the main change I would make is to change C20/C21 from electrolytic to a film cap of any kind. Besides bypassing the garbage preamp op-amp section again.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:20 PM   #279
aj982 is offline aj982  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree. I learned a lot from modding these things. Bypassing the op amps and replacing the input caps helped a lot.

I also noticed a big difference with replacing the output inductors/caps. Inductors were hand wound to 10uH +- 1%. The ones that came with the amp were garbage and the eBay ones I bought were 6-12 uH... All over the place.

Only problem I have now is the DC offset. Anyone know how to fix this? I have about 100mA on one channel and about 40mA on the other.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:36 PM   #280
diyAudio Member

I want to make boombox with lepai lp-2020a+ and monacor 2way car speaker with li ion 12v battery. This boombox will use with my phone. My question is what all the mods to do to get a clean sound on a large volume more then 12o'clock. Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!