LP-2020A+ mod thread - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2013, 05:59 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
Yes.

No.

The best thing you can do for more bass is increase the current your power supply produces. More voltage requires circuit components that are not on this board.
how do I m0ar current
Old 10th March 2013, 04:45 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Tp4tissue,

Current = amperage

Buy a P/S with higher amperage rating. 5 amps aught to do it.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:54 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

On another note; two pieces of advice for all:

1) I was wrong to assume I should replace the 6 output caps with all .22uF. It sounded terrible. Major distortion even at low volume. Although I had also replaced the output inductors, but I doubt they were the culprit.

2) Always make sure you do a controlled discharge of the main power capacitor before you start removing and adding components. I bridged the cap contact point to something with my soldering iron yesterday, saw a nice spark while the volume LED glowed briefly and now -- dead amp.

Yes. I fry le Lepai. Glad it was only $20.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:56 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Tp4tissue,

Current = amperage

Buy a P/S with higher amperage rating. 5 amps aught to do it.
Hi Cogitech:

I currently do have the 12v, 5amp supply..

Do these tripath chips work anything like CPUs where more voltage makes them run "more stable"..

I'm not trying to overclock, , but I'm just wondering if the circuit would be "lean" with lower than the recommended 13.5v from the spec-sheet
Old 10th March 2013, 05:00 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On another note; two pieces of advice for all:

1) I was wrong to assume I should replace the 6 output caps with all .22uF. It sounded terrible. Major distortion even at low volume. Although I had also replaced the output inductors, but I doubt they were the culprit.

2) Always make sure you do a controlled discharge of the main power capacitor before you start removing and adding components. I bridged the cap contact point to something with my soldering iron yesterday, saw a nice spark while the volume LED glowed briefly and now -- dead amp.

Yes. I fry le Lepai. Glad it was only $20.
Ah.. scary.. thanks for that tip..

Um.. I was under the impression that these small capacitors "don't " need to be discharged...before desoldering.

Do I just take my car-light bulbs and bridge the gap while it's still on the Board to discharge it?

As for the capacitors... I suppose I could put most of the old stuff back, and then swap in things one "set" at a time.. to make sure it's working right?

Last edited by tp4tissue; 10th March 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10th March 2013, 06:19 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Hi Cogitech:

I currently do have the 12v, 5amp supply..

Do these tripath chips work anything like CPUs where more voltage makes them run "more stable"..

I'm not trying to overclock, , but I'm just wondering if the circuit would be "lean" with lower than the recommended 13.5v from the spec-sheet
I have seen people report good results with 13.5v supplies.
Old 10th March 2013, 06:22 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Ah.. scary.. thanks for that tip..

Um.. I was under the impression that these small capacitors "don't " need to be discharged...before desoldering.

Do I just take my car-light bulbs and bridge the gap while it's still on the Board to discharge it?

As for the capacitors... I suppose I could put most of the old stuff back, and then swap in things one "set" at a time.. to make sure it's working right?
Discharge them as you see fit. I use a resistor, when I remember to do it.

I do believe it makes sense to replace 1 thing (or a pair) at a time to see what happens. I am usually too impatient to do so, and I end up not knowing WTF is going on.
Old 11th March 2013, 02:38 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have seen people report good results with 13.5v supplies.
What does the increased voltage do.. does the 12v I'm using impair function in any way?
Old 11th March 2013, 05:21 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:

What exact inductors did you use? Using 0.22uF caps is very unlikely to cause that much distortion.

I always unplug, then turn the power switch on and leave it on. Same with pretty much all other equipment. You can tell by the led around the volume knob when it's discharged.
Old 11th March 2013, 04:56 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
What exact inductors did you use? Using 0.22uF caps is very unlikely to cause that much distortion.

I always unplug, then turn the power switch on and leave it on. Same with pretty much all other equipment. You can tell by the led around the volume knob when it's discharged.
^ this works..

also, yea the .22uf caps, it's in the spec sheet..

I swapped 2x Panasonic .47uf film back into the "left" channel.. in the C_o capacitor positions

Leaving the right channel all .22uf wima mkp10

Auditioning them separately.. via the speaker balance slider on my pc

I feel like the .22uf right has more detail.

Now I'm wondering if .33uf would be better because my ghetto cheap speakers are only 6ohm

Last edited by tp4tissue; 11th March 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!