LP-2020A+ mod thread - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2013, 05:37 AM   #111
aj982 is offline aj982  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
Really tidy work AJ! I suppose I should post some more photos, though it's not nearly as tidy as yours.
Thanks redshift, I pretty much followed your lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
To AJ and RedShift

AJ, are you just using the original volume pot? or did you use the tone pot.. it looks smaller to me.

Also, what are those rca "plugs" you guys bought called..
I am using the volume pot and the RCA plugs are just cheap-o ebay ones. Search RCA terminal.

Quote:
Question:

Did you keep C2, the blue circle..

and Is there any stuff underneath the wires circled in the Green that you removed or replaced?
I didn't remove that cap. Check out this pic. Sorry the text is small. Oh, also, just to be safe, I isolated the pins on the volume pot with a dremel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0501_S.jpg (693.3 KB, 315 views)
Old 9th March 2013, 07:16 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

Thx redshift..

Say, I want to remove that ugly power relay.... for fear that it may be affecting the sound.

Is this a very bad idea?

I really don't see much of an "explosion" risk... due to the low power output of the amp and the fact that there's a fuse "in" the ac adapter.
Old 9th March 2013, 07:20 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj982 View Post
Thanks redshift, I pretty much followed your lead.

I am using the volume pot and the RCA plugs are just cheap-o ebay ones. Search RCA terminal.

I didn't remove that cap. Check out this pic. Sorry the text is small. Oh, also, just to be safe, I isolated the pins on the volume pot with a dremel.

Cool stuff... I still can't get over how cleanly you desoldered the smd..

Did you use solder braid? or soldapult? or some fancy autopump..

And the Dremel thing... Do you mean Isolate the pins from the PCB? as in you're only basically gluing the pot to the board with solder notches, but they don't connect to the ground except by wire?
Old 9th March 2013, 01:53 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Cool stuff... I still can't get over how cleanly you desoldered the smd..

Did you use solder braid? or soldapult? or some fancy autopump..

And the Dremel thing... Do you mean Isolate the pins from the PCB? as in you're only basically gluing the pot to the board with solder notches, but they don't connect to the ground except by wire?
Thank you sir. I used my 15 year old Weller 40W. It's been through a lot but still does the job. After I removed each component, I followed up with a braid to clean it all up. I lifted some traces at the stubborn opamps but I don't plan on reinstalling them again so I don't care.

For the isolate thing. If you zoom into the pic I posted of the underside of the pcb, you can see where the copper traces coming into to the pot suddenly stop before they get to the pins. I still soldered the pot in place but the signal stays where the pins are so that the wires i used take all the signal. Does that make sense? I didn't want any rogue signals since I didn't really know what I was doing at first.
Old 9th March 2013, 05:47 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Hey is there something particular about that spot you chose to "ground the pot" at the top..

where the LED used to be..

and what is the difference between "analog" ground and "digital-power" ground

which is which on the PCB
Old 9th March 2013, 06:17 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey is there something particular about that spot you chose to "ground the pot" at the top..

where the LED used to be..

and what is the difference between "analog" ground and "digital-power" ground

which is which on the PCB
Hmmm. I have no clue about the digital power ground. I only chose that spot for the pot ground because I used the original location for the pot pins under the pcb. No specific reason.
Old 9th March 2013, 06:30 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj982 View Post
Hmmm. I have no clue about the digital power ground. I only chose that spot for the pot ground because I used the original location for the pot pins under the pcb. No specific reason.
Hrrrrrmmmmm......
Old 10th March 2013, 01:18 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

I didn't bother cleaning mine with a desoldering braid after, I just remove the parts. Not as pretty, but just as functional.

As for analogue and digital ground, don't worry much about it. This PCB doesn't even remotely follow the recommended grounding in the TA2020 manual.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:41 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Has any one tried m0ar-voltage?

Would it increase "bass" ?

my 12v 5amp came.. happy with it, well built for $8.99 shipped, does 12.6v unloaded. and it has a grounding pin wall side, luckily, much lower noise usually' with these than no ground pin 2 prong types.

jus. wonderin' f' shoulda' gotten a regulated 15v that could do 13.5v and swap some diodes.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 10th March 2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:43 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Yes.

No.

The best thing you can do for more bass is increase the current your power supply produces. More voltage requires circuit components that are not on this board.

Hide this!Advertise here!