LP-2020A+ mod thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But... would be safe to switch on the Lepai without any load or would be safer to use a couple of 6ohm 20W resistances?
I want to be sure there's no output DC before wiring the modded Lepai to my speakers!

From the little I know those resistence shouldnt harm the amp If everything its ok, and measure the output...

Lets see what others that has lot more knowledge than me says...

In general, it is better to test with a load. A pair of test speakers or the 6 ohm resistors. It completes the circuit. Without a dummy load, the meter itself becomes the (very high impedance) load when it is connected for a measurement.

Thanks. I did try this morning using a couple of 6ohm resistors.
I read few tens of mV DC without modifications.
Now I will try this basic mod:

1) remove C30, C31, C20 and C21.
2) wire C30 and C31 pads to C20 and C21 (right side) through a couple of 2.2uF caps (Clarity Caps).

and test again.

Here are my mods: two clarity caps as DC blockers and a couple of 10KOhm resistances in series to the signal (upper) as attenuators.
Two 47KOhm resistances as bypass (lower).
Thanks for help: despite the "minimal" modification the result is very interesting!

Hqzk0Db.jpg

xwfsPGt.jpg

Imo :) Inappropriate caps, the Goofy tone circuit is semi intact. The tone pots are still there . Did you physically remove the op amps (or One(?) on that earlier version board?
If not, they/it are Still impacting the sounds.. while the Resistors are IMO pointless.
But Hey! it's your amp .

There was a change in plans.
I ended up taking the power supply I was using for a T-amp (an old Radio Shack #22-124; 2.5A/5A surge) and using that with the Lepai. Then I built a new supply for the T-amp.
If I needed to acquire something new for the power supply, I'd look for a 12VDC SMPS brick rated for 3 or 4 amps output, or a 12V 3A to 5A transformer for a linear supply.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
What is the role of the output caps (near the inductors) I see in the pictures?
Are they worth to be changed?

AFAIK, they filter DC. But there is more going on than that, because the white paper specifies different cap values depending on impedance of speakers. See the white paper for details.

And yes, even if you just stick to the existing values, replacing with some polyprops is a great idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.