KingRex T20 or T20 modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,
I was over at AS and saw a post about someone wanting to know if anyone had modified a KingRex T20U or T20 amplifier?

Hm, I'd like to know the answer myself.

Have you modified one and if so, what did you do and what kind of results did you obtain?

Thanks kindly!

Last edited:
What did you have in mind?...I have modded a few...for AudioMagus before their demise.

Hi t-head,
Thanks for your response, it is much appreciated.

I'm really interested in taking the KingRex to the max, if that can be done.

I saw an article where someone changed the coupling capacitors to teflon from the original polypropylene removed the ferrite beads on the wires leading to the banana jacks.

Other than that I have never seen anything else, so I guess what I'm really asking is, what else can I do to upgrade the amp.

What was the most usual change that you made to these amps?

Thanks very kindly!

jazzminded,

We changed the input capacitors to 2.2 uf Auricaps, changed power 'tank' caps to large panasonics. I have also changed the output coils to aircoils from Italy(autocostrire?) and arjen helders. The input caps and the tanks showed the most obvious improvements. The output coils somewhat less obvious but an improvement. There are many threads on TA2020 mods...Cap choice is personal and runs from fairly cheap to more than the amp costs...YMMV. Ease of mods depends on your experience...demands a steady hand and a pure heart ;)...hope this helps.

Richard

Last edited:
Richard:

I have a T20U and T20one that was modified by Audio Magus to have 2 RCA inputs and front panel selector, and upgraded the output terminals myself to standard 3/4" spacing 5-way binding posts. I also have the larger (non wall-wart) power supply.

There's not a lot of room in the very tidy layout of this design to upgrade to boutique parts, but I am interested in the output coils - can you point me in the direction to find those, or to the mod threads mentioned?

thanx

Richard:

I have a T20U and T20one that was modified by Audio Magus to have 2 RCA inputs and front panel selector, and upgraded the output terminals myself to standard 3/4" spacing 5-way binding posts. I also have the larger (non wall-wart) power supply.

There's not a lot of room in the very tidy layout of this design to upgrade to boutique parts, but I am interested in the output coils - can you point me in the direction to find those, or to the mod threads mentioned?

thanx

Autocostruire - made in italy audio tools

Crisby,

I used these: Autocostruire - made in italy audio tools I settled on these for a slightly more 'smooth' presentation

and these: 4 Pcs Choke Coil for Class D Amplifiers 10uH 3A | eBay

I also used air-core coils from Mardis-versions of the Trends 2024 amp

Input Caps were Auricaps for the AudioMagus mods. Choke or Inductor coils were my own mod

I did many mods of the type you mentioned but stuck to the more strickly audio-related mods for this thread...as for mod threads try search feature...

by the by, how are you and dave doin' up in BC?

Last edited:
Crisby,

I used these: Autocostruire - made in italy audio tools I settled on these for a slightly more 'smooth' presentation

and these: 4 Pcs Choke Coil for Class D Amplifiers 10uH 3A | eBay

I also used air-core coils from Mardis-versions of the Trends 2024 amp

Input Caps were Auricaps for the AudioMagus mods. Choke or Inductor coils were my own mod

I did many mods of the type you mentioned but stuck to the more strickly audio-related mods for this thread...as for mod threads try search feature...

by the by, how are you and dave doin' up in BC?

thanks Richard

visit the FR and P10 commercial forum for the updates

edit: Key Largo? bit of a change from the great north wet (now the truly everGREEN state - but for how long?;)) I guess we'll need a Cheech Marin emoticon

One more question - do you foresee any risk to removing the ferrite beads at speaker jacks as JM mentioned? I did that several years ago on my other T20 (U), which has since died, I hope for other reasons. It might well have been autosuggestion, but I thought it made a slight improvement at the time.

Last edited:
Just another Venerable Ta 2020 chip in a Flashy box.
At usurious pricings imo.
From the innards photos: A YJ at $15 is 'at least' it's equal.
Should be, as it uses Better quality bits/caps.
But No fancy extruded box nor Audio Weenie approved connectors.
I've a few Ta 2020's by now.. they are addictive... at less than $20 and/or $5 for the chip itself (delivered)

Replace the input caps AND use your ears, is best I can say.
I've experimented with $$$ ones and with Cheap 1$ films from the Local Chinese electronics shop. These cheapies Sound Better on the setup I experimented with.
Markedly better in fact. Very sweet, detailed highs. Curious result but well received.
Caps can/should be used as voicing tools.
What works best on someone else's setup ..does not.. necessarily work well / best on another. Cut 'n Try is required.

Inductors? Those supplied are of reasonable amperage, But as stated, replacements are easy and inexpensive experiments. I found no audible advantage.. But?
Output caps can be bettered for inconclusive results :) YJ uses Wimas Does the K Rex?
Charge pump cap ..Should.. be a Good film and foil IMO, Fit one.
Dunno about the massive Power cap uf 'upgrade'.
It has proven of elusive improvement for me.
Real easy 'upgrade' though.
One day I will try the twin 180uf's as suggested by Tripath (what would they know?) using Decent Film Foils. That could be interesting.
G'luck
Ohh .. remember that this Ta2020 chip Will Not better a genuinely decent 'Old Skool' Amp sound wise. Despite all bleats to the contrary.
Maybe in the next generation or 2? chip designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.