Are T amps just over hyped Distorting noise boxes? Or am I doing it wrong? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2012, 11:24 PM   #11
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I do wonder where all those Tripath chips are coming from, since they've been out of business for years.
I wonder the same thing. They went out of business long ago! Yet there is no shortage of the chips, not even a price increase.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:31 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
I started in DIY almost 8 years ago first modding Sonic Impact "T-Amps" and then building 41hz Tripath kits. I've never experienced what you describe. I think they sound just as good as any other chipamp in the same power range.

Yes, they sound bad when played into clipping (expected). Maybe you are just too used to the clipping characteristics of tube amps?

And the comment about the load impedance can apply to any pre-filter feedback class-d amps, so it's not a shortcoming specific only to Tripath.
Are you referring to Pano's post? Pano was one of the people who started the Tripath craze. He got me into it 5 years ago, and I've built many of them since.

That said, the Tripath amps do sound leaner than other amps, and even more so with capacitor upgrades. They also hiss if you put your ear near the tweeter. If you listen to other class D amps like Hypex, there are proper decays (ie. a "fatter" sound) and no background hiss.
Old 10th November 2012, 01:42 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
Are you referring to Pano's post?...
Sorry, it was directed at the OP.
Old 10th November 2012, 02:18 AM   #14
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
I wonder the same thing. They went out of business long ago! Yet there is no shortage of the chips, not even a price increase.
I've been told.. repeatedly :-) that Asian Makers will often do 'extra' product runs... long after the initial contract has finished.
Why not? the production line is already setup to make these .. it's wayyy too easy to make a couple or more additional 'runs'.
Copyright is a meaningless concept 'over there'.
Currently in the final stages of assembling a Ta 2020 DIY effort (point to point) Amp using a genuine made in USA ta 2020 Chip and with reasonable quality parts.
No.. not all Weenie approved bits, but nothing dubious either :-)
Will post ..soon.. as to how well this careful/painstaking implementation of the Tripath Evaluation Circuit ...actually.. works.
Assuming of course, I don't bungle too many connections :-)

Last edited by Bare; 10th November 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11th November 2012, 05:26 AM   #15
cicotte is offline cicotte  Canada
diyAudio Member

Let me know how you get on with that build, i would like to do the same allot of the components could be soldered directly to the Ic pins keeping the signal path very short. The ta2020 is my favorite amp i think it sounds amazing loves 4 ohm speakers, my Helder 2020 is driving a pair of totem model one loudspeakers with great results .
Old 11th November 2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
You are so right about speaker efficiency.
Yes indeed. You just won't get much out of a 12V amp, no matter what the topology. 7 watts RMS into 8 ohms is about all you can expect from the amp running 12 volts on the power supply. 10 watts RMS if you push the supply voltage a bit. That's plenty for my speakers (Altec VOTT), but not for low efficiency speakers.

Clipping sounds nasty on these, so you can't really push it hard like you can a 7 watt tube amp.
Old 11th November 2012, 12:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

@fatbattery:
If your trouble is caused by the impedance, then you can cure it easily.
Just connect an external resitor in parallel to the speaker to derive the optimum working impedance for the amp.
If the sound does not get better, we will at least know that it is not just about the speaker impedance...
Old 11th November 2012, 01:46 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I'm running a KingRex T20U with dedicated PSU and getting a truly fantastic result. I have a pair of Fostex based fullrangers and a pair of Lowthers. This wonderful little amp drives both speakers to sound levels that makes my wife ask me to turn it down a little. :-)

I gave away all of my tube gear shortly after purchasing the KingRex!
Old 11th November 2012, 03:54 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I've tried wiring a TA2022 chip point to point once, and it ended up in 3-foot flames when I powered it on. Something must have been shorted on those little pins! Not recommended!
Old 11th November 2012, 10:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoHolic View Post
@fatbattery:
If your trouble is caused by the impedance, then you can cure it easily.
Just connect an external resitor in parallel to the speaker to derive the optimum working impedance for the amp.
That won't work. It'll reduce the impedance to the amp, but it won't increase power to the speaker, which is why the amp works better with lower impedances.

12V bridged amp maximum power into:
4ohm = 36W
8ohm = 18W
15ohm = 9.6W

And those are nowhere near the actual, once you take circuit efficiencies etc into account. You are likely only able to get around 3W of clean power into 15ohm speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!