Noob question on Behringer nu6000dsp - level/limit lights...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picked up a behringer nu6000dsp and did a small amount of testing with a usb interface and some PA speakers. I'm wondering if the level/limit/clip lights should be lighting up pretty much equally on both sides when they are set equally. I understand I'm playing music and there my be left right bias, but I swapped inputs, and then speaker cables, and the left side still lights up sooner consistantly. I have yet to try it in mono mode, with test tones, or go into the usb dsp control. You thoughts? Just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the amp while I'm in the return period.

Last edited:
So, turned out I had the dsp set to "dual" which is two separate channels, and I was only setting PEQ to one of them. Set it to "stereo" and you get the peq applied both channels (sounds MUCH better, durrr), and obviously the level lights come on evenly.

This thing is a BEAST. I'm easily hitting 100db in room with one level light on. You can tell it has insane amount of power on tap by how it handles dynamic peaks (snare drum etc). It's actually very clean, clear and musical sounding too. Of course eq'd. I'm sure it helps that I'm feeding it flac files via balanced line from a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 (usb interface/preamp), has a very good dac and feature set for the money.

Last edited:
Relative to their price, the iNukes have INSANE power for the kids to play with, definitely. But, in absolute terms, they don't deliver the power that is promised, like "real" amps usually do. In other words, I would not bet on the Rolling stones considering iNukes for their touring ;-)

Relative to their price, the iNukes have INSANE power for the kids to play with, definitely. But, in absolute terms, they don't deliver the power that is promised, like "real" amps usually do. In other words, I would not bet on the Rolling stones considering iNukes for their touring ;-)

Their peak figures are a bit misleading, but the RMS figures found in the manual seem to be roughly what people bench test them at.

You could easily spend $5K on a touring class amp. The value here is amazing, if you need something for light pro use.

Here's the review that sold me on this amp:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-vs-kam-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202.html

RMS testing:

4 Ohms:

The Behringer was happy to drive 1 channel at 4 Ohms with no reduction in output at 1 minute. Power output was 2.27kW at 1kHz and 2.12kW at 31Hz. This demonstrates that the amp section should drive high power into 4 Ohms without any short-term limitation. However, when driving two channels simultaneously the amp would trip its protection and shut down, needing a power on/off cycle to reset. Since the power amp part was happy to deliver the power then I conclude there is a total power limit on the supply part and rather than engaging the limiters to reduce output the amp switches off. This seems a strange decision on the part of the designer, better the show go on at reduced level if the amp finds itself producing sine-wave like power outputs. It is only fair to remember however that this is a harsh test and the amplifier was pulling 24Arms from the mains at the point it cut-out! (Note: the 12A breaker on the rear did not operate as it has a time delay, this was an internal electronic limitation).
Whether this ever occurs in a music situation is debatable and the burst tests below will demonstrate its actual ability with more realistic signals. That said it does mean it is possible to trip the amp if you abuse it into 4 Ohms, not ideal.

If the output power was kept below 1.7kW per channel then the amp would not trip. To leave a margin I left the amp running at 1.5kW per channel to see if I could get a 1 minute figure. Unfortunately after 15 seconds the circuit breaker opened, not surprising at it was drawing 22A from the mains at the time. So in the end I didn't get a 1 minute figure for 4 Ohms running but I expect it will be around the 1.2kW per channel mark as that produces a current draw of 15A which would eventually trip the breaker.

It will do 1800w @ 4 ohms both channels driven at 1/3rd duty cycle. The subs I intend to drive have a 800wrms rating and hit xmax at 1000w, so I figure this will be more than enough.

It basicly has two bridged amp sections in it, each channel is identical to a bridged nu3000. Plus the dsp section. For $425, its one of the best values in entry level pro audio.

Last edited:
The iNu6k (DSP) is 2 full-bridges, right? what is the DC bus voltage? Does the PSU have PFC? Does anybody know anything about used control topology, e. g. if the feedback is taken before or after the output L?

That review I linked to has some tech info about the design, but your questions are beyond my level of knowledge. From the link.....

The Behringer doesn't have any PFC (Power Factor Correction) and would appear to be a fairly standard forward converter. It uses a fairly substantial ferrite transformer with a resonant switching choke (well glued to the PCB). Power rails measure at +/-84V and there is a reasonable amount of energy storage around which is formed of 4 x 2200uF/200V on the primary side and 4 x 3300uF/100V plus 8 x 1000uF/100V on the secondary side. The effective primary capacitance is therefore 2200uF/400V and secondary side is 10,600uF/100V per rail. Total energy storage is therefore approx. 200J at nominal working voltages.

The DSP is nice also.

Their peak figures are a bit misleading, but the RMS figures found in the manual seem to be roughly what people bench test them at.

You could easily spend $5K on a touring class amp. The value here is amazing, if you need something for light pro use.

Here's the review that sold me on this amp:

Behringer inuke NU6000 vs KAM KXD7200 bench tested - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

RMS testing

It will do 1800w @ 4 ohms both channels at 1/3rd duty cycle.

I see a bunch of blown drivers that will need to be replaced in the future. This should be a good thing for DIY as manufactures will need to make more higher powered drivers, eventually the economies of scale should bring down the costs and we end up with cheaper high powered speakers.

"Power rails measure at +/-84V and there is a reasonable amount of energy storage around which is formed of 4 x 2200uF/200V on the primary side and 4 x 3300uF/100V plus 8 x 1000uF/100V on the secondary side. The effective primary capacitance is therefore 2200uF/400V and secondary side is 10,600uF/100V per rail. Total energy storage is therefore approx. 200J at nominal working voltages."

The primary caps can be 200 V only in low line countries (different in Europe for sure) and their short time energy delivery capability is bottlenecked by the DC / DC converter's max power limit. Assuming the secondary side caps are charged up to 84V each, they store a total of 74.8J. At a reasonable sag, only a fraction of this energy is instantly available for the class D output stage.

So if the rail is 2 x 84V and the amp consists of 2 full bridges, then it can be assumed that it can theoretically put out up to ~1600W into 8 Ohms per channel for very short bursts of a few ms duration. To put this in perspective, my XTI6002 (that is many times more expensive than iNuke) does clip at 144Vpk per channel into 8 Ohms, equal to 1300W bursts. The difference is that the iNuke cannot be bridged, assuming it is already 2 full bridges. And both channels into 4Ohms, the behringer can only sustain less that 1500W /ch. From my XTI6002, I have pulled 2 x 2200W (or 1 x 4500W into 8Ohms), it's PSU can suck >23Amps from the 230V supply and convert it.
Definitely not bad for the iNuke!!

Plugged in the I-Nuke and it sounds like a hairdryer compared to my Crown XLS. This not a problem with livesound but you would probably want to do a fan/shroud mod for home use.

The peak limiters are new for me, anyone know how I should set them up for a pair of 3015Kappalites in large 5cft boxes vented @ 40hz?

I will be running the amp in either 2 x 8ohm mode with the kappalites or using the kappas on one channel at 4ohms and a 8ohm load on the other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.