Best class D amp for studio monitoring and brutal revealing nature - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Default Best class D amp for studio monitoring and brutal revealing nature

HI guys which class D/T amp of around 15W Rms (25Wpeak) could I use for monitor speakers ??

I need brutal honesty(no coloring or warmth if it's not present in the source material).

I need super fast transient speed , flat frequency response , super low THD(less than 0.01 at 25W), SnR greater than 100dB, no hum no hiss.

Just brutal honesty, some amp which can show me when the source material is harsh when it is harsh and sound sweet when the source is sweet.

Some amp which can clearly show when a track was badly recorded and engineered , and sound good only with well recorded and engineered material.

An amp which doesn't make piercing sounds sound sweet. It should sound piercing when the material is piercing.

Price , around 150 Dollar MAXIMUM.

HELP PLEASE

Last edited by aarvin2; 5th November 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 5th November 2012, 09:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Take a look at the Hypex UCD / Ncore range.

https://www.hypexshop.com/
Old 5th November 2012, 12:39 PM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Studio monitoring on 15 watts?

What speakers??

Suggest building a good quality class A analog amplifier instead.
Or consider the "Wire" amp build thread - they are using paralleled ultra low distortion chip amps - or use that as the driver for a class A output stage.

And unless you have a super high sensitivity horn system you need more than 15 watts for monitoring live music, imo.

_-_-bear
Old 5th November 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Studio monitoring on 15 watts?

What speakers??

Suggest building a good quality class A analog amplifier instead.
Or consider the "Wire" amp build thread - they are using paralleled ultra low distortion chip amps - or use that as the driver for a class A output stage.

And unless you have a super high sensitivity horn system you need more than 15 watts for monitoring live music, imo.

_-_-bear

Yups nearfield monitoring, 15 Watts RMS is plenty loud , best mixing engineering is done at whisper levels

Why would you advise class A amps over Tripath or class D amps ? How do they compare with regards to transient speed and consistency ?

Thank for your advice my friend
Old 5th November 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Clappers View Post
Take a look at the Hypex UCD / Ncore range.

https://www.hypexshop.com/

Thanks mate!! those are on my list Pretty impressive specs to be honest Do you have an idea how they compare to ICE chips ?

Thanks in advance
Old 5th November 2012, 12:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Aarvin2,

No experience using the ICE amps, I do own pair of Hypex PSC2.400d plate amps powering my latest project. Trinium, my latest build

The specs of these amps are very good indeed, and with real live performance to back up the specs. If you would like to know more about this particular class D implementation (self oscillating with post filter feedback) read this white paper: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf
Old 5th November 2012, 01:23 PM   #7
back is offline back  Greece
diyAudio Member

they are better than ice but you need a lot more than 150$
Old 5th November 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Some features on paper, unfortunately not establish that the amp has a great realism in the reproduction or high definition, if we refer to the class D.
for this low price, I can recommend a class AB mosfet, I think $ 30 is enough if it is complete. then select a good smps, maybe that does not drop the voltage if you are interested in a good transient response.
hehe .. I have no other advice for this price.
Old 5th November 2012, 02:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

in solid state section "Apex" has a thread for a studio reference amp it s a very good design and has pcb and everything for that , I suggest you take a look at that
and keep in mind that most of monitors don use class d and lm3886 is very popular in studio monitors ,but if you wanna go passive monitor and a diy amp you want something better than lm3886 so go for an active crossover and class A bi-amping !
and if the money is not a issue take a look at this monster :
ExtremA, a reference class-A DIY amplifier.
ExtremA, a reference class-A DIY amplifier. - Introduction
Old 5th November 2012, 03:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

o I forgot ampslab has a design named "synergy" with active crossovers and bi amping in one board take a look at that as well it s a hell of a design specially made for studio monitors with lm3886t :
Synergy - 18dB/oct Active Bi-Amp Kit by AmpsLab

1) Balanced Input

2) Master Volume Adjustment

3) Tweeter Volume Adjustment

4) 18dB/oct 2-way electronic crossover

5) 6 selectable crossover frequencies (1K5 2K 2K4 2K8 3K3 3K7)

6) Lm3886TF Overture Power Amp for Tweeter

7) Lm3886TF Overture Power Amp for Woofer

8) 18,800uF of Power Supply Filter Capacitors
(Rubycon 4,700uF/63V x 4 pcs)

9) +/- 15V Voltage Regulation

Hide this!Advertise here!