Best class D amp for studio monitoring and brutal revealing nature - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 06:03 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

with a tight budget I don think it s worth it to build a low watt reference class diy amp for a mono channel , you gonna need to spend a few hundred dollars just on a good psu , and if the budget is tight it s not gonna sound as good as your barefoot monitors , unless the speaker itself is a very highend and accurate driver .
Old 5th November 2012, 06:07 PM   #32
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Is not a problem of gain, if we refer to a power amp.
the problem is, if the power is bandswitch in terms of 40-80kHz, everything is simple and a good nfb fix everything.
If you want a high power bandswitch, everything is complicated, we start from the difficulties of semiconductor chosen, and end up with professional power supply section. the whole project becomes complex. but it is precisely this that gives value to the amplifier.
Maybe some people think, which is cheaper and easier to say. "this amplifier is professional .."
Old 5th November 2012, 07:39 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad_tbp View Post
I don think the most expensive studio monitors have a more than a 1000 dollars amp or maybe 2000$ !!! the rest of price goes for drivers and mostlyyy for designing the monitors !
The amp ATC uses in the SCM200 model and up costs 5000 (US$ 8000) per channel so you'll need 2 for stereo. It weighs 40kg or 90lb.

Quested Audio uses 2 re-badged MC2 Audio amps costing $3500 and $5500 respectively. They also use XTA based digital crossovers costing around 2000.

PMC uses standard Bryston amps for their larger monitors. The smaller ones use a Bryston amp pack or class D (previously Flying Mole, nowadays Hypex from what I heard).
Old 5th November 2012, 07:46 PM   #34
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
The amp ATC uses in the SCM200 model and up costs 5000 (US$ 8000) per channel so you'll need 2 for stereo. It weighs 40kg or 90lb.

Quested Audio uses 2 re-badged MC2 Audio amps costing $3500 and $5500 respectively. They also use XTA based digital crossovers costing around 2000.

PMC uses standard Bryston amps for their larger monitors. The smaller ones use a Bryston amp pack or class D (previously Flying Mole, nowadays Hypex from what I heard).

A user said the the Hypex sound polite in the high frequencies, is it true ? :O

Do you know what amp is used in the ATC 150 ?? please ?
Old 5th November 2012, 08:01 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvin2 View Post
A user said the the Hypex sound polite in the high frequencies, is it true ? :O

Do you know what amp is used in the ATC 150 ?? please ?
I never used Hypex amps, my 4way active home speakers use 3 MC2 Audio amps (MC750, MC450, T500) and one Omniphonics for the supertweeter.
I bought all these s/h for between 25 and 350 each.

The ATC 150 uses a version of their P6 like this:
Multi Channel Power Amps Atc P6 | hifix.co.uk

But obviously without the rather expensive machined cabinet.
Old 5th November 2012, 08:10 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
$8k for a single channel amp?16k for a stereo unit? huh? I 'd be really interested in seeing that amp's bill of material. Must include something like huge heatsinks of pure silver or the like?!
Old 5th November 2012, 09:25 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:

thanks for correct infos I never thought they use these stuffs for a near field monitors , maybe for mid field wall monitors ,
and one thing else from what i saw in most of mid class monitors (around 1000-1500$) the lm3886t is very common and in most of them the cost of amps is about 200 to 300$ , and the most expensive monitor from Quested Audio is around 6000$ so I don think they put a 3500$ amp and a 2000$ crossover in a 6000$ monitor or they have more expensive line that i don know about .
Quote:
The ATC 150 uses a version of their P6 like this:
Multi Channel Power Amps Atc P6 | hifix.co.uk
atc 150 is around 17000$ u sure they use a 15000 euro amp in it ?!
Old 5th November 2012, 10:44 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaTom View Post
$8k for a single channel amp?16k for a stereo unit? huh? I 'd be really interested in seeing that amp's bill of material. Must include something like huge heatsinks of pure silver or the like?!
The SCM200 and 300 are 3way actives with twin woofers so the amp for one channel contains 4 individual amplifiers: 2x 275W for bass, one 200W for mids and one 100W for the tweeter plus the crossover and whatever they do to time align the drivers.

As I said before: To the best of my knowledge they are Class AB jobs, biased that they run in Class A until they exceed two thirds of the rated output.
Old 5th November 2012, 11:10 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad_tbp View Post
thanks for correct infos I never thought they use these stuffs for a near field monitors , maybe for mid field wall monitors ,
and one thing else from what i saw in most of mid class monitors (around 1000-1500$) the lm3886t is very common and in most of them the cost of amps is about 200 to 300$ , and the most expensive monitor from Quested Audio is around 6000$ so I don think they put a 3500$ amp and a 2000$ crossover in a 6000$ monitor or they have more expensive line that i don know about .

atc 150 is around 17000$ u sure they use a 15000 euro amp in it ?!
I thought we were talking monitors in general. The things I'm on about are main monitors ie a bit on the large side.;-)

I don't think the most expensive Quested Audio monitor is quite as cheap as you think:
Quested HM415 - Active - Single - Vintage King Audio

Notice that the price is for a single speaker!
But it does include 3 stereo power amps and the crossover.

As for the ATC $15000 amp: The amp is stereo (six individual amps), each SCM150 contains half of that and without the machined aluminium enclosure which I suspect is very expensive by itself.

Last edited by Charles Darwin; 5th November 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 6th November 2012, 02:15 AM   #40
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

If I needed a 15-30w class amp for myself, I'd build up a class A design... Even an old JLH in class A will be quite excellent.

Speed is a relative thing. Since most audio is bandwidth limited @~20kHz the fact is that most amps are faster than the highest slope audio signal that they will see. (good thing, that)

I am not convinced (although I am open to my mind being changed) that Class D is *yet* as good as the better linear amplifiers. It is certainly small, lightweight and very useful when those are factors.

But in fact it might make sense to build or acquire a standard tube amp for that matter... the power being low.

It all depends on whether you are buying or building and what resources you have.

Also, the sensation of "harshness" is going to depend a whole lot on what your signal chain before the amp is doing, and again what the speaker is doing. Both are sources of distortions that can confound what you hear WRT what you think the amp is doing or not doing.

But quite frankly, unless you build it, at your price point it will be very difficult to get a truly great performing amp, even at low power...

_-_-bear

Hide this!Advertise here!