Best class D amp for studio monitoring and brutal revealing nature - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 06:20 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvin2 View Post
You know mate actually all top notch active monitors I know have Class D MOSFET, for example the ATC 150 monitors(which sounds super precise) ... which costs like a little house could you please tell me why they are using this type of amp ?? I am really confused.
ATC uses class AB amps which are heavily biased so that they run in class A until they exceed 2/3 of rated output.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:25 PM   #22
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
A Tripath chip Class D amp would satisfy your requirements except for the hiss part. If you want it quiet, you'd have to use a power supply that would exceed your budget just by itself.
All the tripath hiss ?
Old 5th November 2012, 06:29 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I am using the Spiral Groove Mastering amp from ClassDaudio. A superb amp but $600! I think you are asking too much for the budget you have listed. The Ncors will run you well over $1000. Regards
Old 5th November 2012, 06:35 PM   #24
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
All the tripath hiss ?
Not all of them hiss, but most do. Most amps in general hiss and it is common. My Tripath amp is quiet after upgrading to a regulated SMPS specially designed for audio, with its own enclosure. The SMPS cost more than the amp.

Hypex UcD amps are as quiet as you would get for the price. However, they are over your budget. So are the Ncores. And those amps are not as brutal sounding as Tripath amps, Hypex amps are warmer and the treble is more polite.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:43 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Actually I already have a set of monitors, I use Barefoot monitors but the amp I am looking for is for a single speaker(auratone style, but not as crap), for mono testing and to check is my frequencies are not harsh etc.
barefoot monitors are great , never worked with them but i heard they r great monitors but expensive
most of the good amps are as flat and honest as you expect but again if you ask me its mostly up to speakers ! I don think the most expensive studio monitors have a more than a 1000 dollars amp or maybe 2000$ !!! the rest of price goes for drivers and mostlyyy for designing the monitors !
you didnt mention that what kind of monitor you use ,i mean 2 ways 3 ways or it s a full range and do you want bi amping or not , anyway here are some links i found during my searches :
Studio Reference Amplifier (there s a 50w and a 200w version)
Toshiba 2sc5200 mosfet amplifier 2sk1058 2sk2221 irfp9240 2sa970 2n5401 bd139 LM3886
Class A Power Amplifier PCB w/parts,ref Pass Alpha 5 /M-10
Bal Class A Power amplifier PCB w/parts, ref M Levinson No 20.5 80W/ch /A-700
Power Amplifier Ref Musical Stereo Power Amplifier Kit Ref Musical Fidelity X-A50,50W*2
NAP 140C Amplifier Clone Kit Board Ref NAIM,2SA3854/2SC3858 - HifiWow
ExtremA, a reference class-A DIY amplifier. - Introduction (it s cost around 900$! but if i had the money it would be my first choice)
Power Amplifier PCB w/parts,ref Jeff Rowland 9 /M-9
and the list goes on and on ...
keep in mind that if you wanna go clean you need a soft start circuit and a speaker protection circuit ,and you need a very good psu as well

Quote:
Do you think that the TOPPING amp stuff are any good ? I have heard guys bragging about this T-Amp - Class T integrated amplifier - [English] but since I don't have a clue how to read the specs of an amp, what's good and what's not , I better come and ask here
that s not bad but it s not a huge high-end thing ! nothing special about that , you can not compare it to any of those links that i sent ...
if you choose your drivers right and and design a good enclosure for that and do a good job on amps and other stuffs with less than a 1000$ you can build a monitor that will sound better that most of the monitors that costs you more than a couple thousands dollars ...

and one last thing I think you may need a balanced to unbalanced converter and a good preamp but first choose your amp and then ask about that from guys
Old 5th November 2012, 06:45 PM   #26
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Yups nearfield monitoring, 15 Watts RMS is plenty loud , best mixing engineering is done at whisper levels
This chaos is beautiful and fun, reflects exactly like the market wants it to be. haha! Fortunately, many companies have not been able to put the class D "state of the art" in the driver, then use ab class on drivers. yet they all say they have the super class D amplifier in a home.
state of the art but with smps standard, as if it was not important. people reading some post, I think long ago laughter!
all is good .. hehe np.
you asked a 15w rms amp to remember.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Not a class D amp but something to look at is the Behringer A500. It's cheap quite sturdy (besides from it's XLR connectors) and sounds good, with powercube measurements to back it up. A owned a pair for years and one is still powering my sub for me..

Behringer: REFERENCE AMPLIFIER A500

You should take those RMS power numbers with a grain of salt tough

Last edited by Mark.Clappers; 5th November 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:52 PM   #28
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

maybe a stupid question
but for studio monitor, shouldn't it be a completely noise free and silent amp ?
Old 5th November 2012, 06:56 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
maybe a stupid question
but for studio monitor, shouldn't it be a completely noise free and silent amp ?
There are no stupid questions!

I think all amps should be noise free and silent, maybe in PA systems a bit less is acceptable (high gain)?
Old 5th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #30
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I was thinking of other noise than just amp output to speakers

Hide this!Advertise here!