Best class D amp for studio monitoring and brutal revealing nature - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 04:09 PM   #11
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

I agree,specially if in the range of low power (30w rms) not have absolute sense you search D class amp's...just for monitor use. and..just in this low power range, you find very poor d class also. (i mean chip etc..)
Old 5th November 2012, 04:24 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvin2 View Post
I need super fast transient speed , flat frequency response , super low THD(less than 0.01 at 25W), SnR greater than 100dB, no hum no hiss.
If you really want those numbers you need at least a UcD180 (that will do 0.01% THD+N @25W into 4 Ohms) from the Hypex range.

It would be very very hard if not impossible to get those numbers with for example a LM3886 setup. Which is capable of 0.03% THD+N according to the datasheet. SNR is "only" 92.5dB tough.

I did build monitors powered by LM3886's and they sounded fine, so the main question here is what numbers are acceptable for you when looking at your budget?
Old 5th November 2012, 04:49 PM   #13
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad_tbp View Post
in solid state section "Apex" has a thread for a studio reference amp it s a very good design and has pcb and everything for that , I suggest you take a look at that
and keep in mind that most of monitors don use class d and lm3886 is very popular in studio monitors ,but if you wanna go passive monitor and a diy amp you want something better than lm3886 so go for an active crossover and class A bi-amping !
and if the money is not a issue take a look at this monster :
ExtremA, a reference class-A DIY amplifier.
ExtremA, a reference class-A DIY amplifier. - Introduction

You know mate actually all top notch active monitors I know have Class D MOSFET, for example the ATC 150 monitors(which sounds super precise) ... which costs like a little house could you please tell me why they are using this type of amp ?? I am really confused.
Old 5th November 2012, 04:52 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Clappers View Post
Hi Aarvin2,

No experience using the ICE amps, I do own pair of Hypex PSC2.400d plate amps powering my latest project. Trinium, my latest build

The specs of these amps are very good indeed, and with real live performance to back up the specs. If you would like to know more about this particular class D implementation (self oscillating with post filter feedback) read this white paper: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf
Those speakers look indeed like monitor speakers Stunning craftmanship my friend !! I am reading the white papers and trying to make some sense in this I'm a noob in the amp domain
Old 5th November 2012, 05:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Those speakers look indeed like monitor speakers Stunning craftmanship my friend !! I am reading the white papers and trying to make some sense in this I'm a noob in the amp domain
Thanks! Take your time and read it twice if needed, a lot of usefull info in there.

I think a good reason for using class D besides it's obvious efficiency is the very low distorsion and high loop gain within the audioband for well designed class D amps. Actually Ncore is about as good as it gets, if you aim for uncoloured amplification.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:02 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You know mate actually all top notch active monitors I know have Class D MOSFET, for example the ATC 150 monitors(which sounds super precise) ... which costs like a little house could you please tell me why they are using this type of amp ?? I am really confused.
one thing is that not all of the top monitors use class d , and even if they use you know it better that monitors are made to be accurate an honest as possible ! so if they do use a class D amp they designed it specifically for their setup , so you r not able to find a good design as them in diy world or in commercial class d amps modules and if you do , it s not in 25w power range , I do the same thing I mean I'm mixing music and I know what r you looking for and what you mean by accurate , and I m searching for a diy amp and setup for a while know , so keep a few things in mind , if you wanna search for a diy amp (class d or a or ab ) look for reference design , don go nuts with numbers , most of very good commercial designs don't have a good specifications on paper but they sound real great for example take a look at the freq response diagram of yamaha ns8 ,
and if you ask me go for bi amping ,almost all of the monitors use active crossovers and bi-amping , and one other thing is don go with class d you r not gonna find a good class d in that output range but there r lots of very good class a or ab reference designs (or kit or complete modules) for monitors , and keep in mind that most of good diy amp will satisfy your needs for a studio amp the most important part is your speakers and you speaker cabinet ...
there s a reason that a monitor is 30000$ , but unless you have high end mic and pre and other studio equipments and a good acoustic room and good placement , it s not worth it to investigate all your money on monitors ... keep in mind that an studio that has a 50000$ or more monitors has more than 200000$ equipments !
if you want I can send you some links for good studio amps that i found during my researches ,
Old 5th November 2012, 06:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad_tbp View Post
one thing is that not all of the top monitors use class d , and even if they use you know it better that monitors are made to be accurate an honest as possible ! so if they do use a class D amp they designed it specifically for their setup , so you r not able to find a good design as them in diy world or in commercial class d amps modules and if you do , it s not in 25w power range , I do the same thing I mean I'm mixing music and I know what r you looking for and what you mean by accurate , and I m searching for a diy amp and setup for a while know , so keep a few things in mind , if you wanna search for a diy amp (class d or a or ab ) look for reference design , don go nuts with numbers , most of very good commercial designs don't have a good specifications on paper but they sound real great for example take a look at the freq response diagram of yamaha ns8 ,
and if you ask me go for bi amping ,almost all of the monitors use active crossovers and bi-amping , and one other thing is don go with class d you r not gonna find a good class d in that output range but there r lots of very good class a or ab reference designs (or kit or complete modules) for monitors , and keep in mind that most of good diy amp will satisfy your needs for a studio amp the most important part is your speakers and you speaker cabinet ...
there s a reason that a monitor is 30000$ , but unless you have high end mic and pre and other studio equipments and a good acoustic room and good placement , it s not worth it to investigate all your money on monitors ... keep in mind that an studio that has a 50000$ or more monitors has more than 200000$ equipments !
if you want I can send you some links for good studio amps that i found during my researches ,
Please send me your links!!!

Actually I already have a set of monitors, I use Barefoot monitors but the amp I am looking for is for a single speaker(auratone style, but not as crap), for mono testing and to check is my frequencies are not harsh etc.

So i need very revealing amps which slap me in the face when something is wrong The speaker and cabinet are capable , but i'm looking for a special amp for them

Do you think that the TOPPING amp stuff are any good ? I have heard guys bragging about this T-Amp - Class T integrated amplifier - [English] but since I don't have a clue how to read the specs of an amp, what's good and what's not , I better come and ask here
Old 5th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

FWIW I think these are really top notch monitors (and look what amp they use )

Grimm Audio - LS1

Just my 2 (euro) cent.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Clappers View Post
FWIW I think these are really top notch monitors (and look what amp they use )

Grimm Audio - LS1

Just my 2 (euro) cent.
My god they are a thing of beauty!!! :O and they are using Hypex stuff My friend I think it'll be going with this ... I just hope they give me the revealing brutal honesty nature

Thanks again for your help mate!!
Old 5th November 2012, 06:20 PM   #20
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
A Tripath chip Class D amp would satisfy your requirements except for the hiss part. If you want it quiet, you'd have to use a power supply that would exceed your budget just by itself.

Hide this!Advertise here!