Pre amp and Amp war

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all
I'm having trouble with an 02 pre and Sure 2024 amp. The 02 was working quite nicely with an old sonic impact amp for a couple months. When I hooked it up to my new Sure 2024 all worked beautifully for a little while then a POP, silence for a second of 2, and POP-POP-POP like a machine gun. At first I thought it must be the 2024; that I had screwed up the mods on it; but through a process of elimination discovered that it's the 02 causing the problem. Can the 2024 have caused a surge that damaged the 02? :confused:

Would photos of the 2024 help?

One other thing with the 02 is that it does not work plugged in without the batteries installed. I pulled it out of it's case and examined as best as I can but can't see anything wrong with it. At one point it was wired directly to the ODAC but then I split them up into separate cases for more flexibility. It had been working fine for a long time before I hooked it up with the 2024 so I don't know what's going on.
Please take a look at the pics with your expert eyes and tell me what you see.

Attachments

• 02 top.jpg
    02 top.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 02 back left.jpg
    02 back left.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 02 back right.jpg
    02 back right.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 104
Here are some photos of the Sure 2024. I removed caps 3 & 24, resistors 3 & 16 (just noticed that I bridged r16 - will fix). I also removed caps 3 & 21 and bridged them and added the power cap and input caps. I'm not sure if the ones I put on are ok. They were the closest values that I had to the ones others had used.
Please let me know how I can improve on what I have done before I put it in it's case. I realize that the workmanship is not great. I only hope that it is not disastrously bad. :(

Attachments

• 2024-1.jpg
    2024-1.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 2024-2.jpg
    2024-2.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 2024-3.jpg
    2024-3.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 28
Yes - I know that these are not top quality components but at the rate I blow these things up it's just as well. The sound was pretty good with the ODAC, 02 and 2024 before the 02 went crazy. I recall having read on these forums that the 2024 is not really complete without a pre amp and my own listening experience with this set up tells me that this is true. I sounds much better at least to my tin ear.
What I don't understand is why this has happened. If it's something I have done wrong it would be good to know before I start mucking around with some better quality stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.