My new Helder TA2050 amp build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2012, 07:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My new Helder TA2050 amp build

Hi

Having dipped my toe in the water with the Lepai 2020, and a YJ 2020 board I have now put together a 100W amp from two Helder TA2050 boards and a Meanwell NES 350 24 SMPS. It was so simple to do I feel a bit of a sham posting to a DIY audio forum!

Anyway the boards are MkII versions I think, and I can confidently say its the best amp I've ever owned, and not by a small margin. It's replacing valve amp its sat on that I've owned for several years. The helder is better in most ways, but its simply clearer and more transparent. Its essentially colourless as far as I can tell adding very little of its own and restricting very little. Some might not like that, but I'm not one for a romantic sound.

Here's a pic of the testbed.

Click the image to open in full size.

Next I'm thinking of a 3U x 280 deep rack case from modushop. Big, I know, but it will take two meanwell PSUs mounded edgeways should I decide to upgrade the supply, or for other future expansions It'll also be similar in size to my Audio Research SP9 preamp (for which I have both black and silver face plates).

I can't decide whether to go with the rack ears or not, or silver/black. What do you think? Also, I'm fine drilling the case for the audio sockets but I'd like an IEC socket on the back for power, but don't know how to make square holes! What are my options as I don't have a drill press!

Old 3rd November 2012, 10:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nice! The Tripath TA/TK2050 is a very nice sounding pair of chips. I have the Sure 2X100w @ 4Ohm paralelled 2050 version (now on sale 29$ on Ebay) and the LT-50-2050 version (Ebay). Audiophile indeed! But how to parralell it in a simlpe way? How did you do it, or what did you do? It is already BTL i guess...
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did nothing to them to parallel them, AFAIK these are sold as monoblocs. I bought them from ebay off a chap who had 4 of them. I don't think he has modified them, they just worked 'out of the box' as it were. Time to get them back in the box

I've not heard any Sure kit, but $29 sounds a steal. I paid 55 for the two Helder boards. Money very well spent I'd say.

Last edited by hozepipe; 3rd November 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!