Sure Electronics 2 x 250 watt Class D Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Banned

Default Sure Electronics 2 x 250 watt Class D Amplifier

I bought one of these from Sure Electronics on ebay for roughly 50 US dollars shipped.

It arrived today, i gave it a quick test and it seem to work like it should and sounds fairly decent. I run it off 2x60VDC and use two 4 ohm speakers.

My biggest gripe with it so far are the nasty unknown brand cheap chinese electrolytics which i do not trust one bit!

A few pics and a video: Sure Electronics 2x250W Class D amplifier test - YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NHlDB.jpg (703.4 KB, 641 views)
File Type: jpg 1TeKl.jpg (643.8 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg pBxdp.jpg (677.4 KB, 564 views)
Old 31st October 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Really 2x 250 watts? Unlikely that heat sink could deal with a 1/4 of that.
Good thing the power claim is BS :-)
Video is too dark to see anything.. No need to mention listening to Audio 'performance' amateur recorded / uploaded to Utube
then replayed thru my 'puter setup tells one Nothing about the performance beyond that it is indeed making sounds.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Banned

Actually that heatsink could prolly handle a 2x500W amp, or even a 2x1000W amp using a fan as its class D switchmode rather than analog class AB.

Class d amplifiers have much higher efficiency than class AB = alot less heat.

And to be honest, it really does sound exactly the same in the video as in real life, also youtube does not compress the audio unless you watch the video with the 240p mode, if 360p or higher, the audio is the actual raw unaltered audio from the original video file.

If you think it sounds bad, thats what the amp actually sounds like, so if u dont like the sound in the vid, then don't buy this amp.

Last edited by Tekko; 31st October 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 31st October 2012, 09:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post

My biggest gripe with it so far are the nasty unknown brand cheap chinese electrolytics which i do not trust one bit!
That's how they keep the price down.
I pay £6 for an English 10,000uf 63v capacitor.
I can get them from China for £2 each including p+p !!!
Old 1st November 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Banned

I've ran this amp for around 30 minutes now at normal listening levels and the heatsink is getting alarmingly hot!!

I'm expecting the amp to explode any minute now, so i cannot recommend this amp to anyone, i rather discourage anyone from buying it.

Do not buy the fanless class d amps from sure electronics, they get dangerously hot!!!
Old 1st November 2012, 12:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
I've ran this amp for around 30 minutes now at normal listening levels and the heatsink is getting alarmingly hot!!

I'm expecting the amp to explode any minute now, so i cannot recommend this amp to anyone, i rather discourage anyone from buying it.

Do not buy the fanless class d amps from sure electronics, they get dangerously hot!!!
Ha-Ha,Don't be discouraged,You get what you pay for i think~
Maybe you can refer to my design,Class D is very compact,i use a smaller heatsink,Don't worry if The temperature is not higher than 70 degrees in normal work~~

【DIY Project】120W x 3 Channel Class D Amplifier【Let's Make Class D easier 】
Old 1st November 2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Banned

Your amp can run at more humane voltages which results in less losses overall, this sure electronics one wont even start if the rails arent atleast 55VDC.
Old 1st November 2012, 04:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

A fan sorts it out, and if not, it's dead easy to unsolder the Zeners that set over/under voltage protection and add your own.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st November 2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Banned

Though i never intended to actually use this thing anyways, i got it just to have some kinda reference to sound quality compare my diy class d projects to.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Banned

I've now ran this amp for a bit more, this time on a 8 ohm load rather than 4 ohm, after about a hour, the amp started making ticking noises, like if some protection circuit was starting to kick in, then i noticed the output industors were smelling like a overheated transformer, yes they are blistering hot.

This amplifier is clearly not properly made, even one of the blue LEDs on the board is shifting color like its beeing overdriven.

I've came to the conclusion that this amplifier was a complete waste of money.

Hide this!Advertise here!