【DIY Project】120W x 3 Channel Class D Amplifier【Let's Make Class D easier 】

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
【DIY Project】120W x 3 Channel Class D Amplifier【Let's Make Class D easier 】

Hi,DIY members,this is my fisrt thread in this forum,I am ready to start a project of Class D Amplifier,This project is from IRAUDAMP11 but some parts are modified.

There are some reasons for me to carry out this project:
◆ Simply for DIY and make Class D easier.
◆ Class D advantages such as higher efficiency,Higher Performance,smaller package,etc.
◆ 3 Channel Amplifier can make up 2.1 system,or 5.1 system by use 2 boards in real DIY.
◆ More benefits you can find when you practice with me.

The next,i will show you how to DIY this project step by step.

★ The First
You must know the specifications,features of this amplifier,it is simply if you are a
Diyer or Electronic Engineer,please refer to Page 3~4 of IRAUDAMP11.pdf
http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/iraudamp11.pdf
There are some key parameters:
◆ Output Power
◆ Load Impedance
◆ Supply Voltages
◆ Distortion and Efficiency
◆ Audio Performance
◆ System Protection Features

★ Second
If you are a general Diyer and have nothing experience of Class D,you must refer to the following
design note and study basic theory of Class D.If you are a good Class D diyer,you can skip this step to next.
Class D Amplifier Design Basics.pdf
http://www.irf.com/product-info/audio/classdtutorial.pdf
Class D Amplifier Design Basics 2.pdf
http://www.irf.com/product-info/audio/classdtutorial2.pdf

★ Third
After you have know What is a Class D amplifier,the remaining thing is How is a Class D amplifier can be build?
That is mean you need to choose a certain solution,In this project,we will use IRS2053 which extend from IRS2092
but more channel included,compact and functions.If you are familiar with IRS2092 before,it is more easier moving to IRS2053 project.Besides,you can refer to the datasheet and Functional Description for detail explain.
IRS2053 Datasheet.pdf
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irs2052mpbf.pdf
IRS2053M Functional Description.pdf
http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1159.pdf

★ Fourth
So far,congratulations that you have finish the above procedure,and now you will become a good Diyer soon,
The following you need to spend a certain time to understand this project in detail.what?How?and Why?
Please read the reference design note.it will show you all in sequence.
http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/iraudamp11.pdf

★ Fifth
Assume you understand the circuit design,next we will start PCB Drawing,This is a tedious work and will take a lot of time.here I will show you the 3D view first.

Attachments

• 3D_Fit.JPG
    3D_Fit.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 2,102
  • 3D_Top.JPG
    3D_Top.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 2,069
I'm very disappointed when browsed my thread once again,there is no one reply to this thread.pluzzle that whether these ones(Diyer or not) here don't like to take your interset to study Class D theory?Or prefer to buy amplifier module to setup and test by yourself?

I am a new member of this frums,but i found that some thread about application questions are very simple that can be solve through datasheet or app notes if you have pay attention to these basic theory.

But in any case,i just show you the way to practice this project with me,if you are interseted in this project and have question,please show me and i will try my best to help you.
Today i test the amplifier board,it works very well and sounds perfect.
here upload some picture,please refer attanchment.

More pictures and design note are in progress~~~

Attachments

• 2 - Test 2_????.JPG
    2 - Test 2_????.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 745
  • 27 - IRS2053 Chip.JPG
    27 - IRS2053 Chip.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 1,839
  • 17 - Board Height_3_.JPG
    17 - Board Height_3_.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,887
  • 11 - Description_1.JPG
    11 - Description_1.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 1,957
Last edited:
Hi Airwave,
this is looking like a very nice DIY-version of the IRAUD11.

Don't be frustrated that nobody is replying.
It is hard to get attention.
Most guys of the classD community are in one of the following categories.
a) Limiting the DIY risk and looking to buy a well regarded module
b) Looking for Gerber files and/or group buys and/or group builds of proven designs
c) Heading for multiple kW for lowest possible cost
d) Working on own designs, interested in the very detail of switching and/or performance (most preferred including measurements on the real thing) and/or details of working principles

....chose the category (or multiple categories) you want to address and offer your solution on the 'sleep killer topics' of the concerned category.
Good luck and wishing you a busy thread.

I'm very disappointed when browsed my thread once again,there is no one reply to this thread.pluzzle that whether these ones(Diyer or not) here don't like to take your interset to study Class D theory?Or prefer to buy amplifier module to setup and test by yourself?

Exercise patience, your work is clean enough to attract visitors, put some more pics, preferably measurements.;)

Hi,Dear DIYer,I am busy these days for test and verify this board,
Now I have a good news to announce,that is this board have a good performance.
The most obvious is Output Power is larger that IRAUDAMP11,test data as following.

[mark]
1.Test Conditions: Supply ±35V,4Ω Resistive Load, 1KHz Reference Frequency
2.Testing instrument:ATS-1(AP)
3.Power source:SMPS Module
4.Performance(THD+N)will be better if use Transformer Supply

Attachments

• Output Power_THD_10%_195W.jpg
    Output Power_THD_10%_195W.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Output Power_THD_1%_158W.jpg
    Output Power_THD_1%_158W.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Output Power_120W.jpg
    Output Power_120W.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Output Power_80W.jpg
    Output Power_80W.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Output Power_40W.jpg
    Output Power_40W.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Output Power_10W.jpg
    Output Power_10W.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Output Power_1W.jpg
    Output Power_1W.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Test data_excel.JPG
    Test data_excel.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Looking good!

Keep up the good work!

I am one of those people not able to design an amp myself! So I just build 3 L15D units in a box to get the same principle.

Building a 3 channel IRS 2092 type amp is a very logical step and I like your compact and clean setup.

Peter

Keep up the good work!

I am one of those people not able to design an amp myself! So I just build 3 L15D units in a box to get the same principle.

Building a 3 channel IRS 2092 type amp is a very logical step and I like your compact and clean setup.

Peter

HI,peterhenk
thanks your reply that Makes me feel more hopeful in this forums.
Now i have finish some part of this board's user manual except the design application,here i updata and share with you-all.

But i will not make this design application to the public due to Commercial patent,only these diyer who get or buy this board can obtain this full version manual.

Attachments

• AWSAUDAMP1 - 120W x 3 Channel Class D Audio Power Amplifier.pdf
    455 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
hi excellent work ,
I am new Diyer and I want to design a similar audio amplifier, I hope I can get more help from u!

what I plan is a 3 inputs that should be mixed and amplified to a single output channel 120W that drives the speakers.

I also want to control the selection of input channels digitally and control the volume of the amplifier.

further more I would also want to have the output steped up to 100V at the output so that Echo is not present in speakers that are at some distance ( the speakers will have a stepdown transformer)

hi excellent work ,
I am new Diyer and I want to design a similar audio amplifier, I hope I can get more help from u!

what I plan is a 3 inputs that should be mixed and amplified to a single output channel 120W that drives the speakers.

I also want to control the selection of input channels digitally and control the volume of the amplifier.

further more I would also want to have the output steped up to 100V at the output so that Echo is not present in speakers that are at some distance ( the speakers will have a stepdown transformer)

yes,you can try it,Class D is a good choice for design

For the beginner class d can be a minefield.
My first attempt was a disaster.
PCB layout was poor. Decoupling wasn't close to mosfets or irs2092.
Power supply for VCC wasn't good enough.
I had big reset problems due to above and using mosfets with too high gate capacitance.
I had power on/off thumps and siren type noises.

My second attempt was better using gate drivers to get the power I wanted.
Decoupling was much improved closer to devices.
PCB tracks were greatly shortened.
I got in touch with IR about on/off noises and they suggested a reset circuit.
I came up with a PIC micro based solution that reset the 2092 if VCC regulator input voltage fell below 15 volts. This worked very well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.