Indeed labs class d amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2012, 11:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Indeed labs class d amp

Hi Folks,

I've got several small TA2020 amps, the best one in my view being the Indeed Labs TA2020.

I wasn't happy with the bipolar electrolyte caps (2.2uf) (surely the very last choice for this app) used on the imput so I swapped them out for a couple of 2.2uf metalised polyester I had in stock.

Now, the issue is that prior to this swap the amp will drive my speakers (4 inch Fostex full range in TWQT floorstanding enclosures, allegedly rated at 94db) to silly volumes with the volume knob at 10 oclock, far more than I would expect from this flea sized amp, and certainly loud enough for me.

Now after the swap 9 0clock is loud enough, my missus saying "turn that bloody thing down"

What's going on I wonder? I know diddly about electronics except perhaps enough to do minor things as above, and I can imagine only that something called "gain" might be to blame. I notice on the board that there are two little plastic box thingies with a tiny adjustment screw on each. Adjustment for what I dunno, but are these the business? It seems to me that whatever adjustments are available on the board, this amp is running away with itself at small volume incremental changes. Perhaps I should be happy that it does so, but alas it leaves me feelling uncomfortable that something is not right.

I'm using a just-purchased Marantz CD6004 to replace my old Adcom cd player in case anyone might ask. No flashy interconnects just a modest system.

Incidentally the sound produced by this setup is otherwise very satisfying, just the issue with the available volume being the thing.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers, Martin

Hide this!Advertise here!