Grounding and shielding in B&O ASP1000 module, help wanted! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 06:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Grounding and shielding in B&O ASP1000 module, help wanted!

Just put together an amp based on the B&O ASP1000 module but I'm slightly confused over the B&O grounding and shielding recommendations.

The module heatsink is screwed directly to the chassis side wall (15mm alu) and bottom (3mm alu).
I will use an SE-input (normal RCA cahssis connector) so VI- will be shorted to AGND on the board.

In the datasheet and designers manual it is stated that the low-level AGND and high-level PGND are shorted and then connected to the heatsink via 10kohm//30nf and that the heatsink is connected to the board power connector earth-pin.
So the signal ground is separated from earth by 10kohm//30nf.

Since I've screwed the heatsink directly to the chassis at multiple points I will have a really low ohmic connection between the modules earth pin and the chassis.

So far so good.... but it is also recommended that the low-level input chassis connector ground should be directly connected to the chassis.

This will mean that earth and signal ground are connected together which seems strange to me.

Any recommendations/comments?

Two more questions:

- I plan to use shielded power cable and plan to use this internally as well. Is it better to use normal twisted cables with a ferrite than the shielded cable?

- I also plan to use shielded loudspeaker cables (shield connected to PGND), so same question as above?

/Dea

Hide this!Advertise here!