help with baby boom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to build a little portable using an old clarinet case which I have reinforced with 4mm mfd. The drivers are a pair of Aura NS3-193-8A and the amp is a Sure 2024. I could use some help with the power supply. I want to pretty much close up the case and be able to use it with battery and plugin source.
Your recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• baby boom.jpg
    baby boom.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 134
Presdon,

I would suggest just using a charger as your power source. I used this same Sure amp in a portable setup with a 7ahr SLA and the run time was great. The charger can be an external purchased unit or a DIY constant voltage constant current one. I found schematics for one on this website just make sure you if you go the DIY charger route you match the charger to the battery specs. I also connected the charger in parrallel with the amp and switch controlled the amp. This was so I could use it while it was plugged in and charging. It looks like a neat project idea I like your case idea.

Good Luck

Prezden,

What kind of nimh battery pack ? Is it from a cordless drill or RC car? I think these Sure boards need at least a couple of amps of current to run well. Check your battery specs to see if it can put out enough current to do the job. I don't think there would be a difference in the wiring. Just a battery type specific charger would be required. I found this on a quick google search.

Tenergy Universal Smart Charger for NiMH/NiCD 6V-12V Battery Packs

I just don't know if this matches your battery specs.

The nimh is a flat pack- 12v, 10AA batteries, rated at 2200mah. I feel really dumb asking this, but I can't see how it is hooked up to the amp. There is one pair of wires with a connector which connects to the charger but no wires to connect to the amp. Input but no output.

Thanks for your help

Prezdon,

You would have to splice the connection from the charger to the amp. IE cut the connector off of the charger and/or battery and add a pigtail for the positive and negative leads to the amp board (parallel connection). I would also add a switch on the positive lead/pigtail to the amp board. This lets you charge the battery if it's on or off.

Also as far as the charger goes double check the specs. I may be completely wrong in thinking that nimh chargers operate the same as lead acid chargers. Basically make sure that the charger you buy or make doesn't exceed the max voltage on the amp board.

I hope this helps.

Thanks spwalek-
That's exactly what I needed. You would not believe how much time I spent searching for that info.
I have another dumb question. The Sure amp has output for rca; I would like to change it to 3.5mm for an ipod. What is the best way to do that.

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.