Class-D best Dynamic range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rated power is its continuous thermal rating; speakers can handle brief peaks (exactly where dynamic range comes into play) an order of magnitude or two higher except at the low end where xmax will be the limiting factor.

And max SPL is not dynamic range.

Dude, this is ridiculous... The thing is 85dB@1W and has a rated power of 8Watt, that means a wopping 9dB of extra headroom, giving you a total of 94dB of dynamic range. More is your single speaker not capable of. Even when stressing to the max power rating of 16Watt, it would only stretch to 97dB.

Hi Noah,

You are of course right. max SPL is not Dynamic range. Still, 16 of 32 Watt's will give you just another 3dB or 6dB of extra headroom. Anyway, common music sources do not have more than 90dB of dynamic range (since it all 16Bit), and then this is a theoretical number, real music (almost) never has that much dynamic range, not even on mediums that can theoretically reach it. And you don't need that much for the effect aarvin2 is looking for.

Hence I guessed that the 105dB which would me more of a maxSPL spec, than a dynamic range spec ;)

Anyway, aarvin2, you'll never get 105dB of SPL out of a stereo pair of those tiny speakers without killing them. So powerwise, anything with more than 50W will do just fine. And note, 105dB is very, very loud anyway.

You will however get very good sound with probably any of the proposed amps. If you want lowest possible THD, lowest noise: go for Hypex UcD, or if you can spend the money: for Hypex Ncore. I own a UcD400 myself, and they are great. The other amp are probably not bad either, but I haven't heard them (yet). They are however a bit cheaper in general than the Hypex stuff. Another disadvantage, as noted earlier, is that most of them (except Hypex) would need an input buffer since they have fairly low input impedance (between 1K and 3k), or you'll need a pre-amp/DAC that can drive this without a problem. Since you plan to connect your amp directly, I would recommend a volume control. For this, you will definitely need a buffer.

Last edited:
Hi Noah,

You are of course right. max SPL is not Dynamic range. Still, 16 of 32 Watt's will give you just another 3dB or 6dB of extra headroom. Anyway, common music sources do not have more than 90dB of dynamic range (since it all 16Bit), and then this is a theoretical number, real music (almost) never has that much dynamic range, not even on mediums that can theoretically reach it. And you don't need that much for the effect aarvin2 is looking for.

Hence I guessed that the 105dB which would me more of a maxSPL spec, than a dynamic range spec ;)

Anyway, aarvin2, you'll never get 105dB of SPL out of a stereo pair of those tiny speakers without killing them. So powerwise, anything with more than 50W will do just fine. And note, 105dB is very, very loud anyway.

You will however get very good sound with probably any of the proposed amps. If you want lowest possible THD, lowest noise: go for Hypex UcD, or if you can spend the money: for Hypex Ncore. I own a UcD400 myself, and they are great. The other amp are probably not bad either, but I haven't heard them (yet). They are however a bit cheaper in general than the Hypex stuff. Another disadvantage, as noted earlier, is that most of them (except Hypex) would need an input buffer since they have fairly low input impedance (between 1K and 3k), or you'll need a pre-amp/DAC that can drive this without a problem. Since you plan to connect your amp directly, I would recommend a volume control. For this, you will definitely need a buffer.

Thanks a lot for your time my friend :D I have made some further researches and now understand why we use 24 bit 144 dB range in the studios.

Actually I want those little speakers not loud but truest possible, and i would like it to REPRESENT the dynamic impact(or attack) of an element, without it being compressed by the amplifier or the speaker, so that it can be tailored and compressed and shaped as I want, using dynamic sound processor tools.

I am not using those speakers to play music material constantly at a loud level ... I just want them to represent sudden bursts of energy and impact in a honest manner.

May I know where I can get this buffer you are talking about please ?? Is there a name? a brand ? or some book or article that explains what it is please ? :)

So if I want those speakers(16W peak) to represent clean 90 - 94 dB of of sudden bursts, sound I use a 50W AMP !!!??? :O :eek:

Please please demystify this claim i'm confused all over now lol ... MANY THANKS for your time and patience!! :)

If I have two amplifiers, one 50w, 150w, it is obvious that the latter have a wider dynamic. However, this creates confusion with regard to quality (realism) I want to hear, because, unfortunately, we get only an increase in spl. then, if I want to get close to a good realism, I groped to eliminate compression. In an amplifier, the compression is given by the non-linearity of the amplifier circuits (many measures on the linearity are not real, but merely theoretical curves, shown as real. To this is added, one caused by the power supply. Then we all hear drums , snare and all other musical instruments, with rounded attack.
this is a known problem from 30 years.

Regards

Last edited:
There is some imformation on the ClassD Audio website. It is 125w/channel into 8 ohms. Tom at Classd keeps much of his info private and I cannot blame him. I do know he uses the best components available such as Niobium caps. I did replace the gain setting resistors with nude Vishays for a nice improvement in SQ. It was a real PITA to do though. I have replaced a pair of Antique Sound Lab Monsoons (8el34s per side) 120watt/pentode 60 Triode. The ClassD sounded better in all respects and a real bargain to boot. $5000 versus $600. regards

Exactly :) Would you mind telling me which are the specifications and construction and electronic details I should look after ??

The amplifier you mentioned is in my list and I will make sure to audition them in less than 1 month, but please, for the sake of comparison , would you mind telling me from your years of experience, what to look for to get the highest fidelity sound reproduction in a class D amp ?

I looked at the input stage and the comparator used. The input in ClassD amps was designed by the head of Jensen transformers and I have used their professional products for many years. The IR2092 is widely regarded as one of the best of its class. I took advantage of their money back policy. BTW Tom at ClassD is a wonderful person to do business with. He will respond quickly to any questions. I also like his business mode. It is a non profit that provides job training and employment to veterans and others in need. Regard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.