THD comparison of different modules - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 08:40 PM   #1
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Cool THD comparison of different modules

Since I'm looking at various modules for an active setup, I came with the idea to plot all the THD+N vs Power data in one singe graph, to have a better comparison.
Click the image to open in full size.

I took the data from reference datasheets of all the amps. Don't look at the distortion axis: it is not displayed correctly, but the relative values are correct. Interestingly the distortion of the lower power-end is still dominated by the Hypex amps. I guess, this is because over there, THD+N is mostly dominated by noise?
Attached Images
File Type: png thdvspower.png (168.8 KB, 329 views)
Old 28th September 2012, 09:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hmm, interesting! Too late for me to really consider - I've already purchased four stereo 4R IRS2092 boards (clones of the IRAUDAMP7) for a pair of 4-way active, DSP crossover plate amps that I am building.

I think it is hard to beat the IRAUDAMP7 type boards, and related boards like L15D and L25D that use the IRS2092, for value. Low power distortion is not super low, but in my experience, it is the 1W-10W distortion that matters more. I find that I am not sensitive to distortion at lower SPL levels like 100mW. I like to consider the IRAUDAMP7 like a solid 50WPC amp with a lot (6+dB) of clean headroom!

Have to admit that those Hypex amp modules seem pretty nice. I am not as familiar with them, however, and I believe that they are at least 2x more expensive. They are likely a good investment of your money.

-Charlie
Old 29th September 2012, 07:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4real View Post
Since I'm looking at various modules for an active setup, I came with the idea to plot all the THD+N vs Power data in one singe graph, to have a better comparison.
Click the image to open in full size.

I took the data from reference datasheets of all the amps. Don't look at the distortion axis: it is not displayed correctly, but the relative values are correct. Interestingly the distortion of the lower power-end is still dominated by the Hypex amps. I guess, this is because over there, THD+N is mostly dominated by noise?
Can you do this also at higher frequencies, say 5kHz?
Old 29th September 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Frequency response on various loads would be interesting as well.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that would be nice comparisons, but sadly, most datasheets don't show these figures. some show THD+N vs power for 6Khz.

What most of them do contain is THD+N vs frequency, so that should be interesting.

I'll look what I can do about that I can already tell you that the picture will look very different.

Hide this!Advertise here!