Sure Electronics IRS2092 250wpc Amp Build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2012, 02:55 PM   #11
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskal9 View Post
is it the output mosfet that's producing the heat or the regulator transistor?
Everything is attached to the same HS, so not sure how I can detect what specific device is causing the heat.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:17 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Update.... I just got through doing the final wiring of my amp in the enclosure and it continues to blow a 3-amp fuse. It blows instantaneously. What is the typical in-rush of current for this board when first powered up? I've double checked my wiring and everything looks good. This was the first time using the IEC connector on the back with a 3-prong grounded plug. Is 3-amps to low? Should I be using at least a 5-amp, maybe even 10-amp fuse?

Edit: According to the Sure User's Guide that came with the amp, it looks like I need at least a 7.5amp fuse. If this is the standard operating current requirements, I'm thinking the start-up power may spike a little higher. Would that size of fuse be fair to use?

Last edited by redjr; 26th September 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 26th September 2012, 10:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

Mine powers up fine with an 8A breaker, but I did use a soft-start circuit, (top left, first pic) to reduce the initial surge from the twin traffos and capacitor banks.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th September 2012, 11:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I've got some 8 and 10amp fuses on order. No place locally to buy them cheap. I have a couple of soft-start boards, but ran out of room inside my case. If the 8 or 10amp fuses don't work, I may have to implement the soft-start option. Hum... where will I put it.
Old 29th September 2012, 11:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I found a 6.3amp fuse at RatShack today. Popped it in and it survived the startup current and worked fine.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:03 AM   #16
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

did you test this amp based on FTC? would be interested in the actual power capability...
Old 15th October 2012, 02:45 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
did you test this amp based on FTC? would be interested in the actual power capability...
Based on FTC?... I don't understand.
Old 15th October 2012, 05:48 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Somehow I missed this thread until now.

With the heat sink finning horizontal, natural convection is largely ineffective.

A small fan blowing along the fin direction would do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
I had it playing a CD tonight on my bench and within about 30 minutes the HS was very hot to the touch. I was surprised since I was playing at a very low to medium volume level. Is it due to the fact that this HS is underrated for a typical operating environment? Odd. I know this is rated at 250wpc, so maybe I should be playing it louder!
Old 15th October 2012, 09:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Mine is fan cooled, but even so for any heavy use at full power I'd want to seriously beef up the heatsink.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th October 2012, 09:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

You get a lot more cooling effectiveness with more airflow vs. more heatsink area; take a look at the kW pro amps.

There's the noise issue, but many of us have replaced the noisy fans with quiet lower flow ones, and they're fine for home use.

Hide this!Advertise here!