Hypex AS2.100D for Troels 2-way bookshelfs - what way is better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all.
Sorry for newbie question and possible misposting ...
Maybe this thread is offtopic, but I need some opinions from real users of Hypex AS2.100D plate amps at least.
Main idea is just to power some bookshelf/standmount project from Troels Gravesen by Hypex AS2.100D. Straight and simple for lazy guy searching digital active monitors. :D
I even made 3WC from Troels (bass in closed box, no reflex) just to check his 'sound preferences', so now I can be sure that acoustical taste side of this project will be OK.
But now I cannot decide, what speaker project should I take and how exactly it have to be powered, since now we are dealing with quality of Hypex amp module and Hypex DSP unit. I mean, can I use expencive "revealing" hard cones or just stop at paper drivers because quality of amplifier may be insufficient? Should I use recommended passive crossover and one plate amp for two speakers or two plate amps and digital crossover, or digital crossover and passive, for example, notch filters?
If opinions that I found about UcD amps and active crossovers as conception is right, then I can take Illuminator Monitor (Illuminator-Monitor) and two AS2.100D units just because it's economically reasonable (as 1500 euro project can be economically reasonable :() and there will be no "bottlenecks", but I have to ask experienced users - what do you think?

Hi FedorM

I am using the Hypex PSC2.400D in my active speakers. It's basically the same as the AS2.100D but with 400W amps and a SMPS.

I use this unit with Seas W15LY001 midwoofers and a Fountek Neo CD2.0 tweeter. The results are stunning, especially the freedom the DSP gives you is brilliant. Take a look here if you want to take a look at what I did: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/207159-trinium-my-latest-build.html

1 hint; get yourself a measurement mic, ARTA and a good soundcard. With the DSP it's very easy to tweak the response to something you like in real time!

Mark.Clappers
That's good. If these amps can work with ribbon tweeter, they might be good enough for any mid-priced project.
Do you use internal Hypex DAC? What is your music preferences?

supernet
I've asked Troels, of course. But he said that he never worked with active filters and with Hypex stuff. So, he just couldn't say anything about possible "bottlenecks" in system and about optimal combinations...

By the way, amp modules used in these plate amps seems to be worst in all Hypex lineup, so I'm just thinking about complete idea. I'm not sure that it's so good anymore.
Maybe it's easier to make passively crossed speakers and use Hypex with them after?
And I just don't know what 2-way system can be capable of utilising up to 400W per channel.

Hi Mark

I'm in the midst of putting a shopping list together for a desktop stereo amplifier. This may eventually replace my older Chrome Bumper Naim system.

As the budget is limited I'm trying to minimise any blind alleys by picking peoples brains and getting opinions on their experiences.

Speaking to Hypex they said that many people [including small manufacturers] sometimes re-box their AS2.100 amplifier. They said this would make a good start and is a cost effective way of getting the well regarded UcD180LP amps, a DAC, power supply and several standard inputs including the option of USB audio - though I'm not sure the latter means what I think it means.

In your opinion having used the similar PSC2.400D what did you think of it's performance in Hi Fi terms? Subjective I know but each little piece of information helps. Does it suffer from going ADC, DAC, to analogue amp at all? What is the performance like of the onboard DAC?

As ever it's a balance of cost vs performance but this seemed a rather neat solution for a desktop amplifier.

Hi smallangryboy,

The performance in my setup top notch, I decided to go for the PSC2.400d because of the balanced inputs, which I use throughout my setup. I can't hear any digital artifacts, just a smooth presentation of the soundstage. The freedom the DSP gives you in the design process is really nice, once you EQ your drivers flat you can try all sorts of filter arrangements with a couple of clicks with your mouse.

If you want a detailed, non colored sound from your amps go for it, it won't disappoint you ;)

Hi smallangryboy,

The performance in my setup top notch, I decided to go for the PSC2.400d because of the balanced inputs, which I use throughout my setup. I can't hear any digital artifacts, just a smooth presentation of the soundstage. The freedom the DSP gives you in the design process is really nice, once you EQ your drivers flat you can try all sorts of filter arrangements with a couple of clicks with your mouse.

If you want a detailed, non colored sound from your amps go for it, it won't disappoint you ;)

Great, that's very encouraging :)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
you could build the passive version, and still power it with Hypex

then you can still experiment to see if you can do better with active DSP

and if not, it might still be convenient for Eq/room correction

ofcourse the DSP may open the door to designs that might be more difficult to do passive
but more risky, and even more so without experience

The design procedure isn't any different from traditional filters for this particular DSP implementation, as it is all IIR based (not FIR). The ability to quickly make changes and see what it does to the response of your system can help you understand various parameters (filter slopes, time-alignment, ...). I found this helpful in understanding -for example- the audibility of higher order (8th and higher) LR filters.

If you want to use traditional filters the DSP can help you with the complete design process, just convert it to an active / passive filter when you are satisfied with the response, can save you quite a few dollars / euro's / pounds..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.