Impulse purchase on ebay - Sure Electronics 2x250W Class D - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2012, 03:28 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringv View Post
Yup, according to the reference design datasheet, it looks like I could have used the 2x125W unit bridged, for a 500W output on a 8ohm load. It's a bit confusing - i would have called that a 4 ohm load on each channel.
The IRF2902 reference amp is designed to be scalable, with tradeoffs that can be made for supply voltage and power output and load. The Sure amp is closest to the Amp7S-200, but different values have been selected for the OVP, UVP and current trip levels. The following table should help you figure out what you have and how far you can "push" the amp and what power supply you can use. Enjoy.

It looks like one possible interpretation of this data is that the amp should work fine in bridged mode for an 8 ohm load with 51V supplies (this is because the OVP, UVP, and OCSET are close to the same values as the AMP7S-150). Unfortunately, the circuitry needed to bridge the amp isn't on the board--you would have to buy the parts and add them yourself (the PCB will accept the parts, but that area of the board isn't populated--at least, mine isn't) .

Caution: the part values for the "Sure" column were taken from my board that I bought about 9 months ago, and they may be different on the current boards.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Neil Davis; 20th September 2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 20th September 2012, 03:47 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

...That's amazingly helpful. Cheers - I'll have to do a bunch more reading and see if there's a happy point where I can bridge the module I have ordered.

Much appreciated!
Old 20th September 2012, 03:30 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringv View Post
...That's amazingly helpful.
Always nice to have some facts, isn't it?

Quote:
Cheers - I'll have to do a bunch more reading and see if there's a happy point where I can bridge the module I have ordered.
It's really just about keeping within the amp's Safe Operating Area (SOA). You can use higher voltages with an 8-ohm load to get max power, or you can use lower voltages with 4-ohm loads. But you can't do both, because you end up being on the wrong side of the SOA curve. And once you pick your load and supply voltages, you need to select the resistors to set the over current and over/under voltages.

That Sure amp is a great value--all of the components seem to be the same quality parts that are specified for the IR reference amps, and the board layout is identical. But it may not be set up for the load you want to use. I was hoping to bridge this amp also, but I decided it would be easier to just go with two 8-ohm subwoofers in the box.

Hide this!Advertise here!