TPA3118D2 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 04:29 PM   #41
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

You are a brave wire bonder, so suggest to stagger the leads, one up, one down, put a "U" shaped curve to the pre-stripped W/W wire, so that it hangs on the IC lead, or you can squeeze on the IC lead to hold it in place, working with your tweezers and a pre-tinned iron. and your off to the races. I have done it before, it is a slow process.The flying IC/bug technique!! Almost can call it art when your done.I am sure your friends or wife/GF will be impressed with your dexterity and attention to detail :-)
People especially older folk, are scared of SMDs, but I think it is actually easier and faster than PTH. SM Passives are really nice to work with assuming you have two irons avail.. Keep up your good work. If you help/support I am here for you.
Rick
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:13 PM   #42
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Wife not impressed good idea about alternating leads but they are so short to start with not sure how much they will move. There is no room to make a U to hang or anything, I have to carefully line up the wire and use the iron to heat the wire to act essentially like a miniature iron to heat and melt solder on lead and attach wire. It's not the prettiest job but I hope it works.
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:33 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Default Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
..... so suggest to stagger the leads, one up, one down, Rick

That's a good idea Rick.

Mark
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:20 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

I guess wire loop is okay for SOIC @ 50 mil pitch, not so, it seems for 1mm (2x0.5mm pitch)
I just checked the DS (TPA3118D2,DAP (32-pin HTSSOP Pad-down)), the package is 0.65mm pitch, well that makes it so much easier :-)
You can bend those leads all the way, opposite dir from each other, one time only however, after that leave them alone.
I remember we used to solder 30AWG onto QFP leads @ 0.5mm pitch. Needed to hook up to the logic analyzer. We used a Leica Stereo microscope to do the soldering, but that was HP and they could afford such luxuries, us DIYers have to make due.
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:25 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default Printed circuit boards on the cheap!

Hey X, and all interested,

I just read on another thread about a company that will make you printed circuit boards cheap!

It's called "3 PCB special"

Just read posts 1 through 4 here:
New home brew amp module

--Mark
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:42 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark!!
@xrk971 : What inductors are you using? What ckt schematic, DS or app note examples?
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:03 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

The ones pictured are Bournes 10 uH 6 amp, 0.497 x 0.497 in. Digikey. $0.92 ea. I also plan on trying thru hole ones at 3 amps, cheaper at $0.80 but smaller.
I am using circuit from TI's website for TPA31xxD2 actually the eval board circuit but slightly modified to go with fixed gain rather than with pot.

http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/slou336a

Last edited by xrk971; 2nd March 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:34 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2727 View Post
Hey X, and all interested,

I just read on another thread about a company that will make you printed circuit boards cheap!

It's called "3 PCB special"

Just read posts 1 through 4 here:
New home brew amp module

--Mark
This place will do 10 boards for $10, 2x2 in 2 layers. You can't beat that.
[PCB Prototyping] Green 2 Layer 5cm*5cm max -10pcs [PCB Prototyping] Green 2 Layer 5cm*5cm max -10pcs [PPB001] - $9.90 : iStore, Make Innovation Easier

I just have to install Eagle CAM software and learn how to use it to generate the Gerber files, looks like a whole 'nother rabbitt hole I am about to go down with this...

Last edited by xrk971; 2nd March 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:32 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
I guess wire loop is okay for SOIC @ 50 mil pitch, not so, it seems for 1mm (2x0.5mm pitch)
I just checked the DS (TPA3118D2,DAP (32-pin HTSSOP Pad-down)), the package is 0.65mm pitch, well that makes it so much easier :-)
You can bend those leads all the way, opposite dir from each other, one time only however, after that leave them alone.
I remember we used to solder 30AWG onto QFP leads @ 0.5mm pitch. Needed to hook up to the logic analyzer. We used a Leica Stereo microscope to do the soldering, but that was HP and they could afford such luxuries, us DIYers have to make due.
I will try the staggering on the output pins to make clearance for thick 22 awg output wires thst go to the inductors. I get, bend is 1 time operation, they break if you bend them again.

I used to have a Leica stereo microscope at work too. Nice....

I am wondering how to jerryrig a hestsink for the powerpad now that it is up. A copper penny soldered edge on? I can cut some copper tubing and make a sheet approx size of recommended one. This thing needs to dissipate 10% of 25 watts or 2.5 watts at peak load.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:25 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This thing needs to dissipate 10% of 25 watts or 2.5 watts at peak load.
You are assuming a steady state signal such as a sine wave. If you are going to do testing, using sine waves approaching clipping then yes a HS is needed. Music is not the same as a sine wave, the avg power is less.

Hide this!Advertise here!