TPA3118D2 - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 08:36 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
My 3116's were sitting outside the front door all this time. I have to marvel at how tiny they are when I look at them. 50 watts per channel out of this fleck of black plastic.
Amazing!
Old 29th March 2013, 08:57 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I've used several of Cristi's amps, they are very very well designed and he has many happy customers. He just replied that he would consider designing an amp, possibly with onboard smps which is his specialty. I suggest anyone interested in these TPA chips head to the Class D Connexelectronic forum here to let him know there is interest for such an amp.
If it has built-in smps it has zero interest. Otherwise, I might be down for a couple of hundred of them if the price is right.
Old 29th March 2013, 08:57 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
If it has built-in smps it has zero interest. Otherwise, I might be down for a couple of hundred of them if the price is right.
Then let him know...
Old 29th March 2013, 10:36 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

Default TPA3116D2 build

XRK971 will the TPA3116D2 chip use your same board layout as you used with the 3118.
Old 29th March 2013, 11:36 AM   #135
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Tabarddn,
Yes, they are pin compatible and use same schematic diagram from TI's literature.
X
Old 29th March 2013, 12:07 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
I agree that no built in SMPS is preferable. That's a lot of Boominators...
Old 29th March 2013, 12:34 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I agree that no built in SMPS is preferable. That's a lot of Boominators...
It might not just be for that... But yes, it would become de facto standard recommended amp for Boominators if it's the right price and construction.

Preferred size would be something that could be mounted directly on a standard half (or quarter) brick traverse dc-dc heat sink (google it if in doubt, as they are industry standards they're dirt cheap). Either a half or quarter inch. All SMT components on the down side towards the heat sink. All through hole components and connectors on the up side. Entire up side being ground plane.

Last edited by Saturnus; 29th March 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 01:12 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

Saturnus,

Do you mean "transverse"?

I'm not entirely sure I'm looking up what you are talking about.

Heatsinks, in my opinion, are fairly expensive for what they are. A decent aluminum heatsink for a gainclone type amp here would be $15-20 U.S. I think.

Mark
Old 29th March 2013, 01:21 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Just search for: "half brick heat sink" (or "quarter brick" or "Eight brick")

Almost all major heat sink manufacturers make these as standard products.

Transverse fin orientation is also called crosswise or vertical by some manufacturers.

Retail prices are generally under $5 a piece in single piece quantities.

Here's a sample pdf: http://www.aavid.com/sites/default/f.../dcdc_Half.pdf

Last edited by Saturnus; 29th March 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 04:39 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Saturnus,
Good tip on industry standard heat sink. I am looking for one capable of dissipating 40 watts and cut-by-the-inch extruded aluminum profiles are coming up to be about $15.

If all you need is 30 w/ch, the TPA3118D2 can be constructed with the PCB serving as the heatsink so no external heatsink required. The ground plane connected with several vias soldered to metal pad on bottom side of IC serves as heat removal. There is not much heat to remove: music is about 10% peak duty factor at worst and a 90% efficient amp means that for 60 watts x 10% dissip = 6 watts, 6 watts x 10% duty cycle for music is < 1 watt dissipation. This explains why I can run it without the powerpad being soldered to the PCB. The 50 watt/ch TPA3116D2, TI recommends a tiny heatsink like 0.5 in wide x 3 in long strip of aluminum with some fins. I am taking a 3 in wide TO-3 heatsink stock and hacksawing a 0.5 in strip to make the heatsink.

Good idea to have thru holes on one side and SMD on other side. There is only the main power capacitor that is thru hole and that is because we are using bigger size (470 uF to 560 uF) than TI recommends (only 220 uF) which would be SMD, then no thru hole components at all.

Hide this!Advertise here!