TPA3118D2 - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2013, 01:50 PM   #121
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
I do mostly tube amps but have experimented with building discrete op amp preamps for use with tube amps. I recently adapted a six channel amplifier from a 94 Cadillac to home use. It has two sets of three way active crossovers into 20 watt amps.Treble, Bass and Midrange. It is powered by a modified computer power supply @12 volts. Your local junk yard may have them. They were used in the deluxe GM cars in the 90s. You can also harvest some good speakers from the same cars, all at rock bottom prices. It is not an easy conversion, as schematics are difficult to come by, but it was a fun project.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:24 AM   #122
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Lo Tse,
You must be from Toronto area and saw this amp in person? How does it sound compared to tubes?
Yes. I was at the Toronto meet. At the meet, we listened to a chip amp (LM3886 based I think), a 4 W KT88 SE tube amp, very briefly a Dyna Sca35 clone tube amp, and the TPA3116.

The following comments are based on recollection and very brief exposure to those amps, so do not hold me to it:

- the KT 88 SE sound very nice on vocals and instruments, " a lot of air", very natural human voice. The base was not bad but as expected, not as deep and punchy as SS amps
- the chip amp sound alright, pretty even across the board, nothing offended but nothing stood out either.
- Compare to KT88 SE, the Dyna Sca35 clone has a little more SS character. The base is slightly better, I prefer the KT88 SE for human voice. But overall, quite nice sounding.
- The TPA3116 was a big surprise. Mainly because of its minute size and the big sound it was making. By far, it gave the deepest and punchiest base among this group. And it played loud. The sound stage was quite wide and deep. The high has some nice sparkles to it. I like it better than the chip amp. I still have to say that the KT88 SE has "nicer" human voice (in my opinion).

Personally, I do not think the TPA3116 sound like tube amps [I listen to a Melody SP3II (5881 based) at home]. All the amps we listened to on that day sounded a little diffferent. None of them sounded "bad".

By the way, the sound changed when we swapped the amps between the LDR and the TVC. Although not huge, there were distinct differences that everyone can pick out right away.

As I said, it was this exposure to the TPA3116 amp that got me interested in Class D amp. I have just finished the 3123 amp kit that I bought from Sure ELectronic on Ebay (same as the Jerryelectronic one I think). I am going to hook it up and listen to it. But I still want to build that 3116 amp sometime in the future.

Regards,
Old 26th March 2013, 02:27 AM   #123
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback and your impressions of the various amps. I have something to look forward to then when I finish building the 3116. Although I imagine the sound of the 3118 is very similar, just less power, and I am not anywhere near using all the power that the 3118 has. I really like the sound of the 3118 that I have actually put away my old Yamaha RX360 45 watt/ch amp and placed the diminutive 3118 foam core amp atop my carousel CD player as the main amp. It looks kind of incongruous to have this huge CD player deck topped by this tiny amp. But the sound is BIG, and consistent with your comments on how it sounds. Do you like the sound of a LDR preamp? I have never heard one before but that sounds like an interesting DIY project. Below are some photos of my current setup with the 3118 as the main amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (670.3 KB, 789 views)
File Type: jpg photo-1476303819.JPG (665.6 KB, 1149 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 26th March 2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 26th March 2013, 11:42 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Here it what the adapted Delco Auto Amp looks like after modification. It has 11 channels, six separated treble, mid range, and bass for the left and right sides and four channels of only treble and mid range, and a center channel that combine both the left and right channels. Power is 20 watts per channel and the separation is 12 db per channel. I added volume controls to the inputs and and modified a 400 Watt computer supply to power it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delco 11 CHannel Amp.jpg (428.5 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg Delco Amp 2.jpg (338.3 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Delco Amp 3.jpg (380.3 KB, 311 views)
Old 26th March 2013, 12:45 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Ken,
Nice work on that box there Ken, clean workbench too Thanks for sharing your tip on how to find a cheap 12 channel x 20 watt amp! Does it sound good? There is another thread on a single DSP+integrated amp that does 12 channels of surround sound, psychoacoustics, Dolby, etc, plus amp module for 20 watts/ch I think with ability to drive external MOSFETs for more. This is how they make HT boxes so cheap now. Anyhow I am looking into that option too - if a free eval board is available that would be pretty good.
D2-Audio Bass Amp
Old 26th March 2013, 01:24 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

The quality sound is good but there are no EQ or level controls for the individual channels. EQ was only controlled from the dash console with the bass and treble controls. I've used it purely as an experimental amp and it is not part of my usual listening system. I believe it was marketed as a James B. Lansing (JBL) Custom System, to counter Lincolns marketing the "Bose" auto audio system.
Old 29th March 2013, 01:29 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Just wrote a post at the Connex forum to ask him to make boards for these chips. I do think these are diamonds in the rough and need be available with assembled boards (cheaper and better than the eval).
Old 29th March 2013, 02:02 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Wushu,
That would be pretty cool if you can get Cristi to make complete amps. Do you have any of his other products? I can't be the only person to have built a diy amp with the 3118 so far. It is a great sounding amp and I am looking forward to the 3116 which should be arriving in the mail any day now. I am also intrigued by the TI TAS5630B that Mantabernd built (see class D photos thread). It is a 300 w/ch chip. Now that is some power. Here is the amp as implemented by Mantabernd. Can you believe this is his first smd project? The amp looks so pro....
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th March 2013, 02:53 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

My 3116's were sitting outside the front door all this time. I have to marvel at how tiny they are when I look at them. 50 watts per channel out of this fleck of black plastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (640.1 KB, 146 views)
Old 29th March 2013, 08:35 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

I've used several of Cristi's amps, they are very very well designed and he has many happy customers. He just replied that he would consider designing an amp, possibly with onboard smps which is his specialty. I suggest anyone interested in these TPA chips head to the Class D Connexelectronic forum here to let him know there is interest for such an amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!