Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it - Page 136 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2016, 01:42 PM   #1351
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

But today is 2016 !! Times are changing. High reliability, ultra low ESR, high temperature and long life caps in SMT/SMD form are available. Even all features combined and there is no tantalum in them.

http://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/p...acitors/poscap

Last edited by jean-paul; 29th September 2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 29th September 2016, 08:32 PM   #1352
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
I have four of the Sanwu blue 3118s in a pair of FAST speakers. The 8 inch woofers are 4ohm impedance.

I want to lower the gain.... (I can can finds the posts and piccies in this thread to show how to do that).
However, I am concerned that there have been comments about the Sanwu 3118 "lacking bass" or having "lower bass levels". Would adding an LPAD to the woofer to bring the impedance up to 8ohms do much to help?
Hmmmm, I think I don't have a problem. I'm only using the "bass" amps for up to 200HZ. And I already deal with the woofer being 4ohm by knocking off 3dB in Linux. Using the laptop to plot test tones in REW earlier showed a flat-ish response from 40hz to 60hz. The mobile phone apps will be getting binned unless that Dayton mini-mic is worth the few dollars?!?

The electrics are "modular".... In that they're all screwed to a flat piece of 1.2mm Alu. At some point I might throw another £20-£40 at eBay and try swapping the amps for TDA8932s or even "ordinary" TPA3116s.
Old 2nd October 2016, 05:46 PM   #1353
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
Hi ,

our TPA3116/18 standalone amp is ready.
http://www.allo.com/marketing/brochu...s-brochure.pdf

It has all mods incorporated...in adition we have a capacitance multiplier on board that will allow any "crappy" psu to be less than 10mV (since psrr of tpa3118 its mediocre at best)

We are looking for 5 people to try "free of charge" the amp , provided that you are very active on diy forums and you can show you have an interest in tpa3116/18 amps

We only request unbiased review on SQ of our amp.
In exchange for a review CDGAMES sent me the Allo Volt+ amp. I received it a few days ago. I already told CDGAMES that I cannot write a technical review because I am not a technical person. What I can write is my personal experience with the Volt+ amp.

A few years ago I discovered the Class D amp. I bought a Tripath amp (2021 Indeed Hifi) for my study room and I liked it. After reading many pages in audioforums I bought a SMSL SA-60 amp (TPA3116). I liked it much more than my Tripath amp and I gave the Tripath amp to a friend.

After a few months I exchanged the laptop power supply for a linear power supply (Delta Elektronica M24-12HE. In the Netherlands, where I live, they are not as expensive as on ebay).

The 24V linear power supply had a big impact on the sound. In my opinion everything was better.

After enjoying the SMSL/Delta combination for a year or so, I read about the TPA3118 Sanwu monoboards. I ordered two, connected them (unmodded) with the Delta Elektronika PS and the Iqaudio Dac and I couldn’t stop listening. It was so captivating. I listened to this combination for half a year.

Then I read about the Volt+. CDGAMES sent me one. The board is quite heavy and soldering is good. I started to listen together with a friend (who has a technical background). We connected the Volt+ to the Delta Elektronika PS and the Raspberry Pi Zero/ IQaudio (we used three batteries, 5V, 5V, 3,3V) and my B&W DM5 speaker. We started to listen.

We listened to:
-Nathalie Merchant
-Tracy Chapman
-Lucy Ward
-Youn Sun Nah – Album: Lento
-Steven Bernstein – Album: Diaspora Soul

It was ok. There was no hiss when we paused the music. The sound was detailed, powerful, stereo-image was ok, middle notes were ok. But the high and low notes were not very good, muddy, and female voices were not captivating. Don’t understand me wrong, it was not bad, but it was, in our opinion, worse than the Sanwu monoboards. It was not very musical. After half an hour we wanted to stop listening.

Then I thought: Well the Volt+ has a Capacitance Multiplier so may be it’s a good idea to exchange the Delta Elektronika 24V Linear PS for a laptop PS. That’s what I did and what a difference it made! We listened the same songs and more and more. How does this song sound on the Volt+? And this song? Female voices were terrific.

In our opinion, the laptop PSU made the Volt+ better in every way. I will try to describe the sound, realizing it’s very difficult and subjective to describe a sound in words!

There is space between the instruments. It’s not muddy or woolly. It’s transparent. The high notes are clean. 3D imaging is good. Beautiful bass. The sound is quiet (probably the wrong word in English) and in control. The sound is detailed (not too much, exactly good) and dynamic.

We listened to Youn Sun Nah (Empty Dream from the album Lento) and it was breath-taking! Never heard it so! We listened to Steven Bernstein (L’Chaim from the album Diaspora Soul – it is one of my favourite albums). Perfect, completely in control, detailed, dynamic. We listened to the new Leonard Cohen single Want it darker (the only song we listened on Spotify). We never heard it more beautiful!

At the end of our listening session we gave marks:
Sanwu monoboards (unmodded) with 24V Linear PS – 7,5 (on a scale from 1-10)
Volt+ with 24V Linear PS – 6,5 (on a scale from 1-10)
Volt+ with 19V laptop PS – 9,0 (on a scale from 1-10)

We listened much more than we planned. And to summarize my/our experience: This is a very musical Amp. That my friend also wants to buy one says enough….

Last edited by DJ le Roi; 2nd October 2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 2nd October 2016, 06:51 PM   #1354
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

So it can't handle <<24V, maybe bad fake Panasonics or really poor layout.
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:17 AM   #1355
diyAudio Member

Hello ,

glad you like the Volt+

Regarding the linear PSU, do you have any measuring of the ripple ? The CM has to have a higher dropout voltage than the ripple/noise. I suspect that your PSU has higher ripple than 0.5V so CM is not able to clean it.

We do have a trim pot on the CM , so you can adjust the dropout voltage further. I will post some info shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ le Roi View Post
At the end of our listening session we gave marks:
Sanwu monoboards (unmodded) with 24V Linear PS – 7,5 (on a scale from 1-10)
Volt+ with 24V Linear PS – 6,5 (on a scale from 1-10)
Volt+ with 19V laptop PS – 9,0 (on a scale from 1-10)

We listened much more than we planned. And to summarize my/our experience: This is a very musical Amp. That my friend also wants to buy one says enough….
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:38 AM   #1356
diyAudio Member

Sanwu without the CM !! can handle the external ripple better ?
YJBB that comes standard with "wrong' filmtype bootstrap capacitors and distant GVDD capacitor can't handle low impedances (that improves too when lowering PSU voltage), listening to that ampboard has same "muddy" treble experience, there replacing the bootstrap filmcaps for stacked film or ceramic and putting GVDD cap close to pin makes main difference. So it might not be the fake Panasonics on the Volt+
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:12 AM   #1357
diyAudio Member

Can somebody please summaries the mods i should consider for this application:

Sanwu TPA3118 glued to the backside of a big 100+ db horn driver.
Plays only 1.5kHz and above frequencies.
I managed to reduce the noise of the active x-o unit in front of it.
Now i want to squeeze out every bit of sound quality i can get out of it.
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:27 AM   #1358
diyAudio Member

The Panasonic capacitor is not fake.

Its not about the Sanwu handling the ripple better...is about V dropout of CM versus the ripple .. I suspect thats what creates the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by irribeo View Post
Sanwu without the CM !! can handle the external ripple better ?
. So it might not be the fake Panasonics on the Volt+
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:46 PM   #1359
diyAudio Member

Hi ,

I have attached the trimmer on Volt+. This will make the CM drop the voltage (at maximum) to about 1.4v. By default we drop 0.3v

If you have any problem with the sound please adjust the trimpot.

The dropout voltage of CM has to be higher than PSU ripple/noise.
Attached Images
File Type: png Trimmer POT rotation diection.PNG (61.7 KB, 450 views)
Old 3rd October 2016, 01:01 PM   #1360
diyAudio Member

The Volt(+) marketing brochures box the two electrolytics and label them Panasonic. The electrolytics in the marketing brochures that are labelled Panasonic are 100% certain NOT Panasonic.

Sanwu HF: 0805 (or smaller if you dare) cog 330pF vertical on C32&C16, 10 ohm resistor same size vertical on C15&C39, connected to eachother not on pcbside (bootstrapsnubber)
replace the inputcapacitors c41/c21 for cogs (you don't need 4uF for 1500Hz)
reduce gain
replace the 4 electrolytics (originally 160mOhm impedance which can be reduced substantially) for solid polymer (you don't need 660uF per side for >1500Hz)
Replace inductors for decent ones considering the speaker impedance and the 1uF capacitor that goes to gnd that is the other part of Sanwu filter
-one can try to add >2uF ceramics for PVCC-GND decoupling next to c15/c39

Hide this!Advertise here!