Active crossover/preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had a bug for a while to build a modern boombox. In my research I stumbled across this forum. I plan to start with the amp and speakers, and then move on to "source" and maybe use an embedded PC to run media portal. But until then, I'll just use an MP3 player or something.

Anyway, on to my problem. I plan on having a tweeter/woofer combo up top, and then a dual voice coil sub on the bottom... probably ported. I'm not apposed to having passive crossovers between the tweeters/woofers but the sub I deffinately want on a discrete channel. I think that, tops, I want 50watts per channel. With the sub running at 100 or so.

I've found many amplifiers that would suit my needs based on the Class-T chips that seem to be relatively popular in this forum. But I can not find an active crossover to split the sub off from the rest of the signal. I'd be really interested in getting a 6 channel amp and running all of the channels discretely. But again, this crossover issues in the way. Everything I've found has been very expensive and very large. I need someone relatively small, with adjustable thresholds, preferably in circuit board form. I've no need for a case.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Note that car audio x-o's usually are intended to much higher input/output voltages than are used in mobile audio. 8Vp-p is not uncommon on the output. Such voltages would fry almost all amplifier intended for small signals instantly. Also note that the typical output of an mp3 player of down to 1Vp-p wouldn't be enough to drive most car audio x-o's above noise level.

Btw, why are you saying you'd need 4 of them? You implied that you'd use passive filtering on the top section between midrange and tweeter and only need the filter for the sub. If you want something more sophisticated then just buy a miniDSP (or 2) instead. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Note that car audio x-o's usually are intended to much higher input/output voltages than are used in mobile audio. 8Vp-p is not uncommon on the output. Such voltages would fry almost all amplifier intended for small signals instantly. Also note that the typical output of an mp3 player of down to 1Vp-p wouldn't be enough to drive most car audio x-o's above noise level.

Btw, why are you saying you'd need 4 of them? You implied that you'd use passive filtering on the top section between midrange and tweeter and only need the filter for the sub. If you want something more sophisticated then just buy a miniDSP (or 2) instead. Problem solved.

and the input/output voltage is relative how? it do not put out more then it gets in anyways:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.